War Begins

A few weeks passed as we got set back into a somewhat normal life. If normal was defined as being constantly monitored by the two most annoying guys on earth right now. My ears disappeared and so did my tail. My fingers became normal. Now it was just the problem of Guren and Shinya always following me.

I get they were worried after the pills had their effect on me, but I was fine now. Sure, every now and then, I'd wake up with the tail or ears on me, but it would go away after an hour. Actually, I was currently trying to lose Guren and Shinya.

I ran around the corner and slipped into an open room. I hid as I listened for my chaser. "Oh Keiko! Where'd you go?" Shinya shouted as he walked down the hall. After awhile the footsteps faded. I left the room and turned the corner. I hit someone as I did. I lost my balance and fell back. Whoever it was grabbed my hand and tried to stop me from falling, but instead they fell with me.

"Ouch" I cried. I had closed my eyes to brace for the fall. When I opened my eyes I was met with sparkling green ones. Soft black hair was in front of me. "Yuu?" I asked. He smiled. He got up and held out a hand for me. I grabbed it and be pulled me up.

"Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going." He apologized. I looked at him. He was wearing his uniform. He actually looked really good in it. I blushed as my mind had to be corrected.

"It's fine. So are you going out in the field today?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yeah, I better not be late. I can't wait to get back at those blood suckers!" He shouted as he walked around me. He's an idiot sometimes. I was always worried about him. As he walked behind me, I turned and hugged him. "Keiko?" He asked. I was scared to lose him. All that fear hit at once. Tears welled in my eyes.

"Don't you dare die..." I cried. I let go as he turned toward me. He put his hand to my cheek and lifted my head. His kind smile made my tears flow more.

"I won't leave you. No matter what I'll come back alive." He assured me. I nodded. He used his thumb to wipe away my tears.

"You promise?" I asked. I seemed so childish.

"Promise." He whispered as he pulled me into an embrace. I rested my head on his shoulder as I let myself be happy in his embrace.

Suddenly, an announcement on the intercoms went off. "All those who are going to the fields please meet in the designated area now." It echoed. It was time for him to leave. He let go and gave me a last smile. My heart suddenly jumped. I'm still scared, but I had to be strong. I quickly jumped up and kissed his cheek.

"A good luck charm. Now hurry." I told him. He held his cheek then nodded. He turned and walked down the hallway and soon was out of sight. I heard footsteps behind me.

"Do you always give out good luck charms?" A taunt from behind. I turned. Guren.

"Shut up." I blushed and turned my head. He laughed.

"I mean, that looked like it was more then just a good luck charm." He teased.

"I said shut up!" I yelled as I tried to punch him. He moved aside and I was headed for another fall, but Guren caught my hand. He pulled me to him. We were close now. I pushed myself away quickly. "Don't you have something you have to do?" I asked coldly.

"Not yet, though we're heading out in awhile. I was just trying to find you to let you know. I also have to give these to Shinoa's group." He told me as he held out pills. One was marked differently.

"Why is that one different?" I asked. He ignored my question.

"Anyway, I have to get these to them now." He told me as he walked away. His expression for a split second was one filled with regret. Just what is he hiding?