The Human

Hi readers! As always, comment with suggestions as to what should happen next, and vote! 😘

Larry trots back through the snowy bushes to the main clearing, leaving the dead animal behind.
"So did I pass? Huh?" I ask, panting as I crunch along behind him.
"Yeah, kid, you passed. But we still have to see if you pass the other tests. Searching, guarding, gathering, and improving are important too."
I huff. Why can't I just be a hunter? It's fun! I grudgingly follow Larry until we reach the main clearing. To my surprise, we head to the hole in the ground beneath the big tree. Larry jumps in, grunting as he hits the bottom of the den. I follow a little more gracefully.
"One thing Alice needs to work on as an improver is this entrance," groans Larry, holding up a paw and licking it.
I look around at the leave covered floor and the round walls of the den. The light spilling through the hole where we came through is warm and cozy.
"We could build a ramp," I say. "Just widen up the hole a bit and pack dirt into a slope!"
"Okay, you've passed the improver test. We can go back out now," declares Larry, moaning as he looks at his bruised paw.
"Ok!" I exclaim. I want to get to the other challenges, and soon. My stomach growls.
And with a jolt, I realize something.
Today is the same day that I woke up in the den, confused and hungry! It seems like so long ago.
"Larry, I'm still hungry," I say.
"Oh man, kid. Sorry about that. I forgot that this is your first day here!"
"Yep!"
"Well, we can do the gathering test now, and then you can eat," says Larry. He heads over to the hole where we entered, and stands under it.
"Hop on my back and get out, then pull me up. You better hurry with that ramp."
I get on his back, slipping and sliding a bit. Then I leap outside, crunching into the snow. I reach back in with my mouth and grab his scruff, pulling him out too.
"Ow! Jeez, puppy teeth are the worst!" Larry exclaims.
"Sorry," I say sheepishly.
Larry heads further away from the den. I follow.
"So, kid. You're hungry."
"Yeah!"
"Then find some food. Smell it out!"
I stare at him. What the heck does he mean, 'smell it out?"
"Umm..."
"Kid. Lift your nose into the air, find a scent that smells like food, and follow it."
I stick my snout into the air and take a sniff. Trees, leaves, water, dogs, insects, birds, other animals. But no food. I move a little to the left. Trees, leaves, water, dogs, and animals. I sigh. Larry snorts.
"You're not trying hard enough!" He grunts.
I stick my nose into the air again, picturing the smell of kibble in my mind. This time, along with the other smells, there is the faint smell of something really, really mouthwatering. I don't know what it is.
"Something over here smells good!" I report. Larry smiles.
"Good! Now follow the smell until you find the food."
I pad along, keeping my nose in the air. When I get to the edge of the clearing, I stop.
"Should I go on?" I ask.
"Of course! You can't stop until you find the food. It could be dinner tonight, along with the rabbit that Rogo got this morning."
I keep going. The underbrush is surprisingly easy to walk through, because I can fit through little spaces. Larry follows me, muttering under his breath. Finally, the scent of food becomes emense, and the woods dwindle out. Across a large expanse of bare snow lays a black strip of land much like the one that Master ditched me on. I try to push that thought out of my head, and concentrate on the food. The scent wavers a bit to my left, but gets stronger to my right. I scooch over to where the smell is. Then I break free from the trees and head across the snow to the black strip. Larry stays at the trees. When I get to the dark land, I am rewarded with a delicious smelling package.
"Found it!" I yell excitedly.
I quickly scoop it up in my mouth and start to trot back to Larry when there is a loud rumbling noise behind me. I turn around with a jump. There, idling on the black land is a machine just like the one that Master had. I stare at it. I am vaguely aware of Larry shouting and whining behind me.
I fling the package toward him and slowly go closer to the machine. Memories flood back. Couches. Kibble. Trees with lights. Crinkly paper. Humans. Jamie.
A human that is not Master opens the machine door and beckons to me. I take a step forward. I almost go to it. But then the bad memories come. Shouting. Hitting. Loud. Dragging me  through the snow. I slowly turn back to Larry, who is shaking underneath a bush, his tail tucked. Then I run to him. I hear the machine rumble off. I take the package and start to walk back the way we had come. Larry doesn't ask questions. A snowflake lands on my nose. I am filled with shame.
"I'm really sorry," I say to Larry.
"It's ok, kid. We all had moments like those."