Free Again

We rise, silently and quickly. Carazo leads the way deeper into the forest, heading away from the loud noises of chaotic humans and barking dogs. The cold is bitter now, and I shiver as the wind ruffles my dirty coat. Mama nudges me and smiles.

"It feels good to be on the move again," she says to me.

"Y-y-yeah," I say, my teeth chattering.

Suddenly, a human voice, close, by the sound of it, shouts to others. I hear heavy footsteps crunching through the frosty leaves behind us.

"Carazo!" I whimper. "They're after us!"

Carazo picks up the pace. We go through the underbrush at a steady run. I glance at Carazo's face. His yellow eyes are striking against his black coat.

"Where are we going?" asks Rogo cautiously, nosing past me quietly as his big paws hit the frosty ground, snapping leaves and twigs with every step.

"Quiet," answers Carazo. Alice and I look at each other, wary.
Does Carazo even know which way is home?
My paw is stinging again. Still we sprint on. Slowly, the shouts and barks start to fade behind us. I glance back the way we've come.

The woods is light and frozen. Leaves are frosty and coat the ground. I can't see the place where we came from anymore. I'm surprised that the humans haven't caught up to us yet. They saw where we went, after all. I look back ahead, breathing hard. The forest seems to go on forever in front of us.

Finally, we stop. Carazo turns to look at us. He has a somber look in his eyes.

Then he breaks into a wide grin.

"We're free!" he howls.

"Free!" yips Larry.

The whole pack goes crazy and I'm jostled from one smiling face to another! The woods seems more warm all of a sudden, and the pack prances around gleefully. Bitzo looks amazed.

"Paws! Free!" says Mama. Her brown eyes twinkle. Then Carazo faces us all again.

"We're out of the range of danger. For now. I know you're all tired. Let's rest for a little while, and then we'll start up again. Now, what we have to decide is whether we want to return to the clearing or find a new home."

There are murmurs all around. Then Larry speaks up.

"I say we go back."

The pack looks at him thoughtfully.

"Maybe he's right," says Amber. "They might not think to look back there again."

Carazo considers this. "Well, I'll certainly think that over. For now, let's sleep. The little ones need it."

I'm grateful for the rest. We huddle together in the bushes. I can't wait to get up again, though. Running free has never felt so good.

Sorry for the short chapter, guys. I promise the next one will be longer!