Chapter 16

Pete pulled into the elementary school's parking lot and shut his car off. He looked back in the rear view mirror at his youngest son. "You ready, Buddy?" He asked.

Saint nodded his head eagerly, he'd been looking forward to this day ever since Mrs. Alaina announced the Christmas party, but since Christmas wasn't celebrated by everyone, she referred to it as a "Winter Break" party.

Pete smirked and opened his car door, helping Saint out and walking inside with him, hand-in-hand. It wasn't long before the two of them joined the classroom filled with twenty little children, running and jumping around, excitement pumping through their veins. The four year old immediately assimilated himself with his classmates and Pete found his way to the side of the classroom, wanting nothing more than to leave, but he knew that if he wasn't their, his son would be devastated, and the poor boy didn't need anymore devastation in his life.

Shortly after their arrival, the teacher explained to everyone - parents and children, though the latter didn't pay much attention - the plans for the day, the parents scattered about the walls of classroom. Among those parents, was Elisa. She had her eye on Pete the minute he walked through the threshold with red and green streamers suspended from the top. But the bassist was completely ignoring her, and he was well aware of what he was doing.

Confronting her was inevitable, though, and when Mrs. Alaina sat the children down on the circular rug decorated with letters and numbers and shapes for a reading of Chris Van Allsburg's The Polar Express, Elisa took the opportunity to talk to Pete. Leaning against the blackboard, he was casually sipping the grape flavored Roaring Waters Caprisun juice pouch. She walked up beside him and sparked the conversation with a simple, yet quiet, "Hey."

"Hi," Pete muttered in response, keeping his eyes locked forward.

"How have you been?"

"I've been better. Yourself?"

"I've been alright. I never thanked you for giving us Saint's old crib for Ryan," She murmured, looking down at her unopened juice pouch as a distraction, "He loves it, and he falls asleep almost immediately in it."

"It was no problem. It's not like I'm going to need it anytime soon."

An awkward silence blanketed over the pair, though it went unnoticed due to the complete attention the teacher was receiving. Elisa looked over at Pete and asked, her voice just above a whisper, "Pete, can I tell you something?"

"No," He grumbled, turning away from her childishly and continuing to drink his beverage.

Brendon's wife rolled her eyes and simply walked around to Pete's other side. He went to turn away from her again when she grabbed him by the shoulder. "Pete, I'm serious. We need to talk."

"About what?" Pete snapped at her, throwing the flattened aluminum pouch to the ground, "Elisa, you and I have nothing to discuss."

"Just come outside with me, please," She begged as kindly as she could manage. She knew her and Pete were at odds ever since Patrick was incarcerated and she and Brendon got married. He knew something was up with them, and now he knew that Brendon killed Sarah. He had a pretty good feeling Elisa was part of that as well.

The bassist rolled his eyes and followed Declan's mom outside of the classroom. They took a little trip down the hallway before turning a corner and standing by the water fountains.

"Well?" Pete inquired impudently, "What did you want to tell me?"

"I made a mistake."

He chuckled, "What's new?"

Her eyebrows furrowed together, "What do you mean?"

"Elisa, that's all you've been doing these past four-five years - making mistakes. I honestly can't remember the last time you did something without me thinking 'well, she fucked up'."

She scoffed, "Pete, that's not the point! I really messed up this time and...and I don't know what to do now." Her cheeks turned a deep shade of red as she tilted her head down and played with the necklace she had around her neck, with a silver chain and a locket hanging loosely in the middle. "I was hoping you might."

"What did you even do?" The Fall Out Boy member couldn't help but ask.

"I came forward to the press," She confessed, keeping her gaze locked on her feet, "And I confirmed with them that Patrick was the one who attacked Brendon, claiming you told me, having witnessed it yourself."

Pete's eyes doubled in size upon hearing those words escaped his friend's ex-wife, "You what?"

"Pete, I had to. Brendon wasn't going to do it himself. And I knew that if someone didn't say something soon that this would've all been forgotten about and-"

"Hold on a sec," He interrupted her, crossing his arms, "So you're telling me that you came forward and told everyone that Patrick was the one who attacked Brendon, because I told you that I saw it myself?" Before Elisa could respond, the bassist exclaimed, "Elisa, you lied to them! And it's not some little white lie either."

"I know."

"God, you're so fucking stupid!"

"I know."

"Why would you even do that?"

"I don't know."

Pete pushed himself away from the wall and began pacing back and forth across the deserted hallway, running his fingers through his hair that he was letting grow out, "How could you tell them that I told you that?"

"I-I needed them to believe me."

"You needed them to believe you," He repeated, "Well Patrick needed people to believe him too, and look what happened."

She hung her head.

"What the hell did Patrick ever do to you to deserve this kind of betrayal?" Pete thought aloud, though he wanted an answer.

She swallowed hard, not having an answer to give him.

"Elisa, I know you don't care about him anymore, but I do. I always have and I always will and I don't understand what that poor man ever did to you to make you hate him so much. All he ever did was love you, give you his everything. Every decision he made, every thing he did, it was all for you. And this is how you repay him?"

Her brown eyes begin to glisten.

Pete shook his head, "I can't even stand to look at you anymore, Elisa. You know that? Because all I see when I look your way is a lying, conniving little bitch who helped ruin my best friend's life. And you know what? I knew this was going to happen. I knew you were bad news the minute Patrick introduced me to you. The only reason I didn't say anything was because Patrick loved you. He really did. He loved you with every bone in his body and you made him the happiest he'd ever been. That's the only fucking reason why I didn't stop your sick little game right then and there. Because I wanted him to be happy. And didn't you say that in your vows? That you wanted him to be happy, forever and always?"

Elisa sniffles, the tears forming in her eyes streaming down her cheeks.

"You're nothing but a liar, Elisa. And there's only one thing you've ever said that is true - and that's that you made a mistake. I hope this comes back to bite you in the ass. In fact, I know it will. I'll make sure of it. Mark my words."

And with that, Pete brushed past Elisa and stalked back to the classroom their two boys were still in, listening intently to the words their teacher was reading off of the glossy pages, completely unaware of what was to happen to their parents in the near future.