thirteen

"Jack, why are we here?" I asked as I sat with him while he leaned against the counter of the bar taking a shot. He scanned the crowd of people.

"I'm looking for someone. And there is no 'we,' you tagged along." He stated without looking at me.

"Well I don't think it's okay for you to be alone after, you know." I shrugged.

"Vera, I'm a grown man. I've been alone before. I don't need your pity or a babysitter."

He was right. He's old enough to think and do stuff on his own but he's hurt and scared. I think.

"Well, maybe I can help with whatever this is." I said while motioning to the crowd of the club.

"No, drop it. I like working alone."

"So this is work?" I clarified and asked confused.

"Yes, and no. Stop talking please."

"Ooh exciting." I said sarcastically, yet oddly half excited. "So what does the girl we're looking for look like?"

He downed another shot and when he spoke again he sounded raspy, "Not a girl, a man."

"But I thought you only look for women?"

"I said this was work Vera."

It occurred to me that I didn't know what he did for a living. What did he do for a living? Was he serial killer on the side and stay at home dad or something? No, that wouldn't make sense. Was he the leader of a drug cartel? Was he a gang member? As I thought of the worst possibility, I asked more questions probably becoming more annoying.

"Well, what is your work?" I felt defeated.

"It's complicated." He still hasn't broken his gaze from the crowd to look at me.

"I have time." I said patiently.

"If I tell you will you stop asking questions?"

I thought about it and nodded, then I remembered he wasn't paying attention to me. "Yeah I guess."

"I do carry on my father's tradition, but my buddy Johnson's boss is a gang leader." Gang leader, I called it! Though he couldn't hear my thoughts he continued, "Johnson's boss knows his boys makes the guys he want to go missing messy, so he hires me, but I get to do it my way." He faintly smirked creepily.

What was I supposed to say to that? He kills for a living and I'm totally physic?

"Wow." My mind raced. What's crazier, I know a serial killer or that I find this serial killer's smirk very attractive? I think I need a therapist.

Finally he broke his gaze to look at me, "And you know, I occasionally work at Little Caesars." He grinned.

I burst out laughing, but not so loud, "No, you do not!"

"It's true! Is that so hard to believe?" He shrugged and chuckled along with me. As I laughed looked in his eyes and could tell he was telling the truth. I just nodded.

"Anyway, the guy we're looking for is practically famous for buying drugs off Johnson's gang and using them to drug and rape women. He killed two of the members last week, took what they had on them, and has been in debt before that. Maloley, Johnson's boss, told me the only he'd pay off his debt is taking life."

"We?" My eyes lit that's honestly all I got out of this conversation.

"What the hell? You're not leaving anytime soon, you offered, so why not?" He shrugged.

"Um, okay as long as I don't do any of the bloody part." I cringed and that's when I realized I'm gonna be in accomplice to a murder tonight.

"Great." Jack said. Finally I turned my attention to the crowd, but I felt Jack's eyes on me. If I could disappear on the spot I would. I absolutely hate it when I'm stared at in general he knows that. Please stop.

"Jack, stop staring." I said bluntly. Just as I did a somewhat broad man about 5'9" walked through the door. He was covered in tattoos and walked with about three or four tall body guards. I think that's the shadiest looking guy here I think that's our guy.

"No." He denied.

"Hey Jack?" I tapped his arm and he turned his head, "Is that our guy?"

He downed one final shot, "Bingo! You're good at this."

"Well what do we do now?" I asked.

"Go seduce him." He told me.

"Come again?" I exclaimed.

Recently, I have been out of touch with writing mostly out of pure laziness and because I was busy. I'm sorry and I'll try to update more frequently. No, this book is not near over.

BUT GUYS THIS IS LIKE THE SHADIEST BOOK I'VE EVER WRITTEN HOW IS IT?

btw the guy jack's gonna kill is cameron, oops.

vote and comment please? tbh it encourages me and makes me laugh sometimes when i read your guys' comments

THANK YOU FOR 60K!! i love youu