Chapter 2

I arrived home that evening at six after being pulled and scratched out of the medieval dress from the fashion show and helping Keisha pack up.

We managed to get the stuff to her place and I assisted in dropping off Shay who could not shut up for shit about how she could have done better than me. I was the better person and quietly dropped her off two blocks away from her place, shutting the door and driving off before she could talk and offend me further. Who cares about her ass anyway?

As I approach the front door I could hear muffin, my pug barking and little Baylee shrieking in happiness. What's happening? I thought to myself only to open the door to find baylee singing inaudible words to muffin who was seated in front of a chocolate covered five year old that couldn't sing, barking with excitement at her words. I was laughing at this in amusement when a familiar voice was heard over the noise causing both little animals to shut up. Yes, Beylee is an animal.

"Honey, when did you get home?" Asked Steve, my step dad, as he walked in from the kitchen wearing his office pants and a rolled up shirt. He looks like he's mixing Baylee's custard and seems like he had trouble making it at that, he had yellow stains all over his shirt.

My mom and Stever are so much in love it's adorable! I was six when my mom met him and they got married within months of dating. I loved Steve too because I never met my real father and he treated me like his own. Steve is one of the reasons my mom decided to make her drug money clean and change her ways. She knew his job as one of the most well known entrepreneurs in Florida would be jeopardized if people knew exactly who she was, the good thing is that no one has ever seen her face.

My mom also decided to get clean because she thought my life would be in danger after the event of '99. I was four then and was almost kidnapped, if it wasn't for my uncle walking in on the men trying to take me. He fought them off and called the police, landing the two men in jail. Uncle Dwayne didn't know why they wanted me and my mother wouldn't tell him why either so he let it slide.

Now, Steve and my mom have Baylee together and I took his last name too. Little Baylee is more colored than I am cause Steve is white and has blond hair, giving her already pretty self little golden highlights. Uncle Dwayne now runs the Royalty collections franchise in New York and has his own little family ther; his wife and my older cousin Andrea.

"Just now dad." I replied and smiled at my little sister who came running to me.

"Oh, how was class? Did you hand in the assignment on time?" He asked with curiosity, grimacing after tasting the custard he'd attempted making.

I lifted an enthusiastic Baylee and balanced her on my hip while laughing at both my dads face and the memory of today's events. My mind flashing back to the green eyed football player whose looks left me speechless, and then back to my dad's question.

"Funny thing,-" I began saying before Bylee cut me off.

"Haha, daddy's got custard all over his shirt!" She said, pointing out the obvious as usual earning more laughter from my dad and I.

"Yes I do darling." He said while walking over to the kitchen where I followed him. He rubbed his shirt in vain before I decided to help and took the dishcloth from his hands.

"Maybe you should give Baylee a bath while I make us dinner" My dad laughed before agreeing and receiving Baylee from my arms with already eager arms outstretched for him. "Why are you in the kitchen anyway?" I asked with curiosity while putting the thousands of dishes he used into the sink. Who uses this many things to make instant custard!? I asked myself.