Chapter 9

Chapter 9

                Carmelle stood boldly in the main hall as she watched her tigress and possible impending death come towards her with little Rose beside her. She was a small little thing despite her age. “Rose tells me that you went out with a battle party,” she said with a smile. She looked so happy and pleased that Carmelle almost thought that she may not even be mad. “Yes, yes I did.” “How many of you died?” She flinched, how could a queen have such little faith in her soldiers? “All but me,” Carmelle replied evenly. She glared “This is why I don’t like for you to go out without my permission,” The Riddler snarled in her face. She expected to feel her claws sink into her skin, but she was obviously restraining herself. Carmelle nodded “I have learned my lesson your majesty. I have paid the ultimate price with the death of my three closest friends and I am deeply sorry.” The Tigress’s pupils narrowed as she unsheathed her claws. “Friends?” she murmured. Carmelle flinched when she saw that The Riddler had an uncharacteristic frown on her face. “Friends are tools!” she screamed as she backhanded her with the jagged edges of the metal that covered her knuckles. It sent her stumbling back with blood dripping from her nose. “Carmelle,” Rose whimpered. The Riddler turned on her and acted as though she might hit her too, but relaxed an instant later. “I would hate to damage that pretty little face,” she whispered as she studied her. Rose’s breath was shaky and a bit of sweat was forming on her forehead. She held her head “Poor baby,” she muttered in her ear with an undertone of sarcasm “Do you want me to hold you?” She brushed a piece of her bright red hair away from her purple ear and practically whipped her with her tail as she spun back around to face Carmelle. “Do not disobey me again!” she howled before storming back down the hall to wherever she had been. As soon as she was out of earshot Carmelle hugged Rose who had begun to cry. “Why is she so mean?” she asked in a small voice. Carmelle smiled and patted her head “Sometimes it comes from the cruelty of others, and sometimes it’s just how we’re taught.” Rose nodded with her green eyes looking into her gold ones. “So where is she headed?” Carmelle asked after a moment or two of recovery “She is spending time with Alister. I heard her muttering something about getting rid of the distraction.” Carmelle flinched “You mean, she’s going to kill him?” Her stomach was dropping and she felt as though she might be sick. “She’s going to kill off an innocent and useful human merely because he is a distraction?” Rose’s eyes were wide with horror and after glancing to the side for a moment she nodded. Carmelle shook her head “I’ll never fully understand her, but I’ve been told to follow or die.” A scream resounded through the castle moments later. Oddly enough, it came from The Riddler rather than from Alister. Rose cringed and began to cry again. “Hush, it’s alright, I’m sure she’s fine. I’ll go check on them. ” Carmelle reassured. “No don’t!” Rose wailed “I can’t take it anymore! She doesn’t think that Alister is the distraction.” She took a moment to collect herself “She thinks that you are!”