Chapter 62, Sadie

I know, I know, you're all wondering, "my god, how long is the book???" and the answer to that is that it's 174 pages in Microsoft word. Meaning I have quite a bit left. And seems as each chapter is only like, 2 pages, it makes it go longer. Sorry. All the same, enjoy!:)

These monsters were smarter than any other one I had ever seen. I was getting a head ache from focusing on the leaders mind and making him run into a tree. I was shocked at the fact that I could at all, because very few of the other monsters had minds that I could push, but these ones did. In fact, they even had their own language. I let the leader go, and he stumbled, then fell to the ground, blood trickling from his head. The other two shrieked, out raged, and the one who had taken to the air dive bombed Hanger.

I realized with horror that he was distracted trying to pry one off of his shoulder. I launched into the air and tackled it just before it hit Hanger, and brought it to the ground. It sank its teeth into my shoulder, and I swatted its head. It howled and came at me again. I got to my feet and grabbed its shoulders as it came at me and  tried to focus my mind on its. It flew into the air as I commanded and began paying ping pong among the trees, slamming into them and shrieking the hole time.  I knew he would be out in just a moment.

Sure enough, the shrieking stopped and I let it fall the ground, just as Hanger tossed the other one off his shoulder and sent it flying deep into the woods with so much force that I could hear limbs snapping as it hit them. It howl died away as it went further and further. I looked at Hanger.

 He had a deep gash on the side of his face, and realized with some surprise that there was blood spreading down my shirt from my shoulder. I ignored it and nudged the leader with my foot. It didn’t move and Hanger sent it flying along with the other two into the woods, hopefully dead. I touched the scratch on Hanger’s face.

“They were so smart.” I muttered absent mindedly. He nodded.

“I’ve seen them before, but they weren’t like that.” He said.

“We need to tell Arianna. These monsters are somehow getting smarter.” I said. Hanger nodded and his gaze came to my shoulder. His eyes widened slightly.

“We have to get you back to Jett. What did they do?" he murmured, his hand brushing over it light as a feather I flinched at the twinge of pain at even the smallest amount of pressure.

“It bit me. You’re not looking to so hot either.” I teased, trying to lighten the mood. He touched his cheek lightly and frowned.

“C’mon. I bet you dodger’s already awake.” We quickly made our way back to the house, being more cautious than ever.

Sure enough, every light in the house was on. I was holding my arm stiffly against my side as we entered the house. Hanger had to keep wiping blood off of his face, but he was more concerned with my wound. In the living room, everyone was gathered. Arianna took one look at us and sent all the kids off, except Jett. They complained and begged to say up, but went when I told them I would explain tomorrow.

The sulked off to bed. Arianna looked over us, and for once the guys were silent. Liam finally broke the silence. “No, dim wit, it was the monsters.” He said rolling his eyes. I remembered that him and Nicco could communicate telepathically. “Aye, you two look like hell.” Nicco commented.

“Thanks, Nicco.” I said. Arianna put her head in her hands.

“What happened?” she asked, not looking up.

“We were attacked by little chupacabra things.” I said. She lifted her head.

“What?”

The guys shifted awkwardly in the back ground. “Well, we didn’t get attacked by a psycho squirrel.” I said. Hanger spoke up.