Chapter 79, Hanger

I took Sadie’s hand just as there was a huge crashing sound coming from behind us, like a million trees falling. As it turned out, I wasn’t that far off. A wall of massive, moss covered trees with twisted limbs and sagging branches. There was one that was in the very front, and I recognized the figure of Ryder ticked up in the top branches. Sadie almost smiled. I could tell she was relieved to see that he would be safe and off the ground. Then she glanced around at the other kids and her face fell again. I turned my attention back to the woods bordering the edge of the field. We stood in a raggedy line, waiting, prepared. 

Roxi flicked the air, searching for anything. Ariadne glanced at the sky and back at the woods. A chilly wind blew through, and Ariadne frowned. Sully was flickering in and out. We could see him one moment then he would disappear. Libby put her hand on his arm and he relaxed a little, becoming fully visible. Sophia clung to Jett, her new best friend. She wore the exact same outfit as him, and it took me a minute to realize she was blending with him.

 Jett stood calmly, staring at the sky. Liam punched Nicco in the arm. Levy twitched nervously, and Boomer let the rubble from what was once a rock fly from his hand. Dodger had taken his head phones and sunglasses of, his curly hair blowing in the wind from Ariadne. Max was focusing on keeping the kids calm. Arianna was holding Jasper’s hand, her chin raised in indignation at the coming battle. Everyone was on edge, and I was no exception. The only difference was that only Sadie could tell. Ariadne had told us that the Avari would be there any minute. She had read it in the stars. She had also told us which side they would be coming from. I had been unaware the stars were that specific, but I knew Arianna had her ways. 

Roxi suddenly jumped

. “I’m getting a radio signal between two guys. ‘Use the tazer.’ ‘No, I don’t care if they get hurt, I just don’t want them riled up.’ I just caught it. They must have some sort of protection against me. I can’t get it anymore.” She said. It sounded like they were talking about the monsters or something. Dodger tilted his head.

“They are coming. Not far away. Only a few miles away. I give it another half hour.” He said, trying to sound cool and collected. The over cast sky wasn’t changing. There were no clouds. I wished it would be sunny. I knew that it wasn’t Ariadne who was making it so black out. It was the impending disaster, and the town could feel it.

The trees were now right behind us. I could see Ryder clearly. He had one arm wrapped around the sturdy trunk of the lead tree. Sadie periodically glanced up at him. She looked at me. Should I be upset that he’s that far up in the tree?  I could tell that she was trying to lighten the mood and act like she wasn’t scared, but her thoughts were weak and quiet. You’re right. It’s far too dangerous for him to be off the ground before the battle. A smile flickered around her mouth.

 *******

Dodger knew he didn’t need to say anything. We could all hear them. I squeezed Sadie’s hand hard, and she leaned towards me. We refused to act like this was the end. There was a loud commotion coming from the woods. Growls, snarls, snuffling noises, branches cracking, and even clicking sounds. But they didn’t burst through the trees as I expected. Instead, a single man dressed in a black business suit stepped out. I recognized him immediately. We had seen him twice. He walked right up until he was about twenty feet from our single front line. The sky blackened deeper. That was the work of Ariadne. No one made a move.

“Hello, Malachi.” Arianna said in a flat voice.

He smiled cheerfully at us.

 “Good morning, Arianna. I just hate to be rude, but I would rather speak to some one of more importance. Sadie, dear, speak up, will you?” he asked, lookingat her with his dead eyes.

I glanced down at Sadie, surprised. Arianna looked just as shocked. Sadie glared at him. A sudden surge of protectiveness swelled up in me, which was silly because Sadie was very capable of taking care of herself, but all the same. She patted my arm. “

My lawyer called and he wants his suit back.” She said. Malachi laughed.

“How I missed your whit, dear. Anyhow, there are other matters to attend to.” he said, waving his hand dismissivly. Sadie opened her mouth to spit back some insult, but he spoke before her. “Join us. Can you not see that your little posse is doomed? Telepathic twins and children all under the age of fourteen.Really, dear. You can do better.” Sadie growled under her breath and before I could stop her she marched right up to him, her face shoved right into his.

“These  kids have a higher mental capacity than you ever will, not to mention more guts than your entire army put together. All of those guys will rip out your spine and cheerfully beat you with it for fun. If I were you, I’d be backing down right about now. You don’t stand a hope in hell against us.” she spit, acid dripping off of her words. Malachi flinched a little, then composed himself and smiled at her, and I honestly thought she was going to rip his face off. Her fist tightened, and I thought I saw fear ripple across Malachi’s face, but then it was gone. I couldn’t even imagine what she was putting into his head. I didn’t want him to suddenly set a bunch of feral dogs or anything on her, so I went up and touched her arm. She backed into me. Malachi smiled at me.

“Hanger, how good to see you. Why, I remember when you were just a child. Strange little boy.The offer extends to you also.” Then I was the one who almost ripped his face off.

Sadie started pulling me back into line until I was right along next to Dodger again. He patted my shoulder.

“Where is the rest of the army?” Jasper asked. Malachi looked at him.

“Ah, Jasper. You have not changed a bit. Yes, well they are waiting for my order.”  Arianna spoke up again.

“Malachi, please. This can be resolved peacefully.” Malachi glared at her.

“Really, Arianna. There is no way. And as soon as we win the war, you will see how wrong you are. You will wish you were on our side. Your world is coming to an end, Arianna. It will be better that way, as the ‘good way’ obviously isn’t working out so well.”

In the next five seconds, everything flashed through my head. And it wasn’t Sadie putting them there. A small boy, blind in the dark, clutching the damp rocks of a cursed castle. A child wandering the endless maze of halls in a castle.Two  kids, lost inside. The sudden attack of a large dog out for blood. Screaming. Finding packages of books and clothes and shoes around the castle. Learning the rules.Lying on the floor for days, trying to recover after monster attacks. Sleeping for half hour periods .Dreaming about the light, reading about the light.Reading books and magazines.

A lost girl, stumbling along the walls of a castle like a little boy had done eleven years earlier. Brown hair, brown eyes.Slimy green monsters breathing on her face. Breaking all the rules. Being chased by monsters. Light, searing my eyes. Wandering the woods. Hotels with monsters.Twinkies and junk food. Kissing Sadie.Dreaming about Sadie. Talking to Sadie. Walking to Arianna’s. Kissing under a willow tree in the rain. Falling in love.

That determined look behind her eyes, the wind blowing her hair away from her perfect face. My life.

Malachi flicked his hand.

A wall of creatures burst through the trees.