Prologue

They came in like a swarm of bees in a children's movie.

There were over one hundred of them. Seeping through the holes in the gates. pushing and shoving over each other. Trying to get in. Causing chaos through my village.

I see a fire starting, and there's nothing I can do. I see buildings being destroyed. broken down into the little pieces that they once were.

More guards are getting closer to the castle. My guards are out fighting. Trying anything to fend off those who get close enough to us.

"You must let us go! We're skilled in combat. There must be something we could do!" My love is on his knees. Begging my father to be allowed out to fight.

"Not this time, my son. When the war is over, I promise you'll take my spot and make your own decisions. But for now I say no. This is final." My father speaks with such power. He was right to be king.

"We musn't just sit here! please!" He begs once more.

My father leaves in a swift move. closing and locking the door. My husband pounds on the door shouting.

"I will fight! I promise you!"

I rush over to calm him.

"This is a time for when you cannot fight everything. I beg of you to stop for there is nothing that you can say that will convince my father to let you out. I'd rather you in here with me than be in danger out there."

He sighs but nods in agreement. We come towards the window and watch the destruction happen before our eyes. For there is nothing we can do, for now.