Chapter 1

Grace-Maria Evans

"Why do I feel so irritated with the anything and everything? Like some forces are working against me or something." I asked myself. "Maybe you're just getting nearer to that special time of the month." "It's like I picked the worst day to be happy. This morning – of all other mornings – my phone decided to drop resulting in the side silver covering chipping off." "Are you sure you didn't have something to do with it?" "Okay whose side are you on! Great, now I'm talking to myself!" I shook my head as I walked towards the school. I frowned as I passed the car park, witnessing strange things. "Why do I have to be so punctual?" I took out my phone to check for any updates when something hard hit me. "Ouch!" I looked around and saw Jack standing at a good throwing distance. "Jack! I'll hurt you one day." "I cannot wait to see you try." He mocked. "Anything is possible you know." I gave him a mischievous smirk. He chuckled and threw his arms around my neck. "Let's go." We both had about two classes together so we walked side by side. When we got to class the teacher hadn't yet arrived so we waited. Jack blew me a kiss and walked to take his place at the back. The day I understand him I will actually find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

By the end of school my irritation with the world set in and I lost track of Jack. At this point, I wanted nothing more to do than to drink a cup of warm milk, put on some socks and snuggle up in bed. I was beautifully day dreaming when my thoughts were beautifully interrupted. Note the sarcasm. "Maria!" I smiled at the owner of the voice. "Mimi. If not you who else will call me in such a sophisticated manner." I smiled again. She rolled her eyes and replied, "Your wit never goes unnoticed." She was about to talk when we heard someone talking. "I can't believe you Jer! I thought we were great together." The girl said. "Exactly, 'thought'. We were never together to begin with." The guy replied. Mimi looked at me and started walking towards where the arguments were coming from. "Mimi!" I yelled in a whisper, calling her back but she ignored. Why do I even bother? "Shh." She turned around to keep me quiet as she listened in on the argument. "Mimi, come on let's go. No one is supposed to hear them that's why they are arguing in there." "Ha! It's miss plastic." She said when she finally saw those arguing. I looked at her and walked to where she was. "You know she has a name right?" I asked Mimi once I was by her. We both continued to listen. What? I can't leave my best friend here alone. "You need to stop telling people we are together." The guy said. "But Jer..." The girl started talking but got cut off. "It's Jeremy." The guy said. He turned around and started walking to the door. That was our cue. "Mimi..." "I know, run! Go go go!" When we were a good distance from the school we stopped running. "I think he saw us Mimi." I took in a deep breath. "Don't be silly." She chuckled. "There's no way." She shook her head as we continued walking home.

When we got to my place, there was another car besides my mother's parked outside. "Hey Maria..." "Why do you always call me by my middle name?" I asked Mimi before she could end her sentence. "Because I love you now focus and tell me whose car that is?" She replied without hesitation. "Honestly, I have no idea..." "Let's go in and find out then." When we entered we didn't see anyone immediately so we decided to settle in before we start searching. We were in the kitchen when someone entered and greeted. "Grace." I froze, recognizing the voice. "Mr. Evans. Dad." Mimi and I said at the same time. "When did you come?" I asked. It occurred to me that the car was his. "A few minutes after you left for school. I'll be leaving. I just came for something." He answered. "Oh okay..." I trailed off. There was a brief moment of silence before Mimi spoke up. "It's great to see you Mr. Evans." Always a lifesaver. "You too Muriel. I hope you guys are learning hard?" "never a day spent without our heads in a book." Mimi said. "Good." He chuckled. "Have a safe trip back Mr. Evans." "Thank you. Goodbye dear." He waved. "Bye Dad." I waved back. Then he left.

Mimi ended up staying for dinner like she mostly does. "Hey, brighten up." Mimi bumped my shoulder slightly. I huffed. "Yh okay." After a while Mimi asked, "Want to go shopping tomorrow?" "Wouldn't miss it." I gave a smile smile. Immediately Mimi gasped. "Who are you and what have you done with my best friend!" "Shut up!" I chuckled at her reaction. That ended up lightening my mood. We ended up watching a whole season of The Originals and finishing two packs of digestive chocolate biscuit. I was in the washroom when Mimi laughed. "Miss plastic has got some serious issues." She said. "Why do you say that?" I asked from the washroom, curious as to why she'd say that. "Because I'm chatting with some people and she happens to be part. The things she says are just wow." I entered my room and sat beside her looking on her laptop screen. "How do you end up in a group with Amber, Zoe, Jeremy, Jack..." As soon as I read Jack's name my question was answered. He probably started that group for his own amusement. Suddenly my mum walked in, startling both of us. "Hey girls. How is everything up here?" She asked, oblivious to the fact that she startled us. "Everything is fine mum. Good evening." I greeted. "Good evening Auntie Rose." Mimi also greeted. "Good evening. I hope you girls have had something to eat." It sounded more of a statement than a question. "Don't stay up too late. Good night." "Good night." Mimi and I responded. As soon as she closed the door Mimi turned to me and asked, "Does she realize tomorrow is Saturday?" "I have no idea Mimi." I answered staring at the door where my mother stood a few minutes ago. The night went on with Mimi on her laptop and me on my phone.

The next day, we woke up around 11am and got prepared for our day out. "Mum we're going out." I informed my mother before heading out. "Alright. Be home before 7 okay? I might be late." "Okay." A few minutes later we were at our destination. We drove – actually Mimi drove. She only used her car for 'emergencies' according to her. This girl. Three hours later and I felt like strangling the brown-haired girl with violet dyed tips before me. I loved shopping but Mimi took it to a whole new level. "Can we please go home, or eat? My head is throbbing." I whined. She said nothing. "Mimi are you even..." Out of nowhere someone grabbed me. I jumped and turned around so fast I got a whiplash. "JACK!" He crouched in laughter finding my reaction very amusing. "Sweet, sweet Grace. You scare so easily." He took a seat beside me. I looked at Mimi and she was also laughing. "One day, I'm going to repay you back." I glared at them. "Okay, okay relax. I'm sorry." Jack said. "You know the drill." I smiled, knowing what was coming next. "Ugh! Let's go." He ended up buying me a medium ice cream bucket and five bars of Twix. Mimi benefited ofcourse. That's what happens when you scare me. They were both lost in their conversation while I sat there lost in my thoughts. You know that moment when you feel like someone is watching you. Like their stare is so intense that it makes you uncomfortable, that's how I felt and Mimi noticed. "Hey are you okay?" She asked. "I feel like someone is watching me." I shifted in my seat. "Isn't someone always." Jack mumbled in a low tone. "What?" I asked. "Huh!" He retorted. "Did you say something?" I asked again. "Nope." He said, popping the 'p'. He looked at Mimi and they shared a knowing look when they thought I wasn't looking but I was and I saw. These two are hiding something. I looked up and like a flash I thought I saw Jeremy Mills.