Chapter 5

Grace-Maria Evans

Guys please stop. Please, It's okay! GUYS! "Grace, Grace, Grace wake up..." "Huh..." I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was Mimi's face. "Wake up lazy! We've got a date to prepare for." She said. When I didn't say anything she turned to look at me. "Are you okay?" She asked. I looked at her and she was glowing. How does she roll out of bed like that? "Yeah...I'm fine. Hey Mimi, how do you roll out of bed like that?" She perked up. "Well, you see dear Grace, I just..." As soon as she started, I started to chuckle. "HEY! I know what you're doing. Get your lazy ass into that posh bathroom." She squinted her eyes at me. I just continued to chuckle.

A long hot bath was all I needed and I was 100% sleep-free. Now, for the complex pert; getting ready in the hands of my best friend. "Sit, let us begin." She held a blow dryer in one hand and a curling iron in another. "Wait, what are you going to do with those? Do you even know where he's taking me? What if..." "Hush dear one. I know what I'm doing. Now relax and let me work my magic."

And magic she worked... By the time she was finished I was stunned. Why is this girl still here? She should have been hired as some private stylist, seriously. "Mimi, this is amazing." I said, touching my hair and scanning my face. "Let you face and hair be, it's time to pick an outfit." She laughed. She stood in front of my closet. 16. That's how many times I've tried outfits. What on earth is this girl looking for. "Ahhhhhh!" She suddenly screamed. "What, what, what? What happened?" I rushed to the closet. "I've found it!" She squealed. "Huh?" I was a bit lost. "I've found the perfect outfit." You have got to be kidding.

By the time she was done I was exhausted. How is that even possible? The doorbell rang and the way she sprinted for the door, wow. I sat there and laughed. She's more excited than I am and I am the one going out. "He's here!!!" Before she opened the door she looked at me. "Well?" "Well what?" I asked. "Come here!" She used hand gestures. "You don't want to be late." She pushed me towards the door. "Hi." I said when I opened the door. "Hi." He greeted back. "You look..." "Cute, great, beautiful, amazing." Mimi spoke from the back. He chuckled. "Yes, that." "Thanks. You look great too." "Shall we?" He gestured towards the car. "Bring her back the same way she's leaving Mills." Mimi waved us goodbye. When we got to the car I asked where we were off to but all he told me was, "You'll know when we get there," and smiled.

I stared at the building before me with a giant grin on my face. "Betty's" I whispered and smiled more. I was so happy, I could shed tears of joy. I love this place. "How did you know?" I had to ask. "I did my research." He smiled at me. "After you." As soon as we entered a wave of sweet aroma hit me. Hard. We walked to the counter to place our order, there, we met a young girl a little lower than my age. "Hello and welcome to Betty's..." She was busy typing something on the machine so she hadn't seen our faces. "...what can we get you...wow." She trailed off and just stared at us. "You are so pretty." She smiled excitedly. Suddenly I was self-conscious. "Oh thank you. You're pretty too." "Oh me? Please. Anyway what can I get you and your girl?" She asked Jeremy. "We're not together." We both said in unison. "Yet." She smiled. "Here's the menu. Take your time." She lead us to one of the nicest seats. It didn't take long for us to place our orders and it took way less to get our food. We sat there eating, talking and laughing. "Okay, next question. Who was your favourite parent as a child?" I asked Jeremy. "My mum." He looked down and smiled but there was something more. "Why?" I asked. "Well because my dad wasn't around to take care of us." He sighed. "I'm sorry." Now I feel bad. He gave a dry laugh. "Don't be. It's fine. He's dead." He said it so plainly. "What?" He looked at me and gave me a small smile. If someone had told me a few months ago that I'll be sitting in an ice cream shop with Jeremy Mills, without hesitation I'd direct the person to the nearest hospital for a quick head scan. "Are you done with your food.?" He asked after a while. "Yes." I took the napkin and wiped my hands. "Let's get going then." He offered his hand and I took it gladly. Before we reached the door I stopped him. "Wait, I want to do something." I walked back to the counter to see the girl – Kate. That was the name I saw on her uniform. We talked and exchanged numbers. As we drove back our conversation continued in the car. "My favourite color?" I thought about the question before answering. "Wait, let me guess." He placed his hand on his chin like he was thinking. "Pink." He looked at me. "Hey!" I hit his arm. "If you must know, I am not that girly." "I beg to differ." He muttered. "My favourite colours are black, violet and pink." "Interesting choices." "Thank you." I said with a smug look. Then the comfortable silence set in until I got home.

Mondays...Mondays...Mondays!!! This one in particular was odd, very odd. Right from the parking lot I felt uneasy. I have been getting stares right from when my feet touched school property. People stare a lot, it's annoying. Between third period and lunch I went looking for Jack and finally I found him. He was talking to Amber...The world has definitely turned inside out!!! "Hey Jack, Amber." I approached them. I was quite surprised at myself when I greeted Amber with no grudge whatsoever or no hatred towards her. She looked nervous. "Hi girly." Jack responded. "Hi Grace-Maria." Amber responded also. "Have you seen Mimi or erm..." I cleared my throat, starting to feel uncomfortable. "Jeremy anywhere." I pulled Jack closer to me to ask him. Before he could say anything I hit his arm. "Ouch hey! For that I won't tell you what I know." He sounded like a child. I looked at him and he spilled. "See that's all. Thank you." I smiled and turned my back but before I could take another step he stopped me. "Grace wait. How was your da..." Realizing what he was about to say, I interrupted him with a fake loud cough. "Could you excuse us for a moment, Amber." I pulled Jack further away from Amber. "Were you just about to ask me how my date went? IN FRONT OF AMBER? Last time I checked she was one of the close friends of the girl who made it her life mission to make me rue the day I stepped into this school." I yelled in a whisper. "Are you trying to get me killed!" I shook my head in disbelief. "Oh, I'm sorry. But wait, Chantel can't do anything. After what Mimi and Jeremy did?" "Still I...wait what?" I asked registering his words. "Huh." "What did they do?" "I don't know." He shrugged and avoided eye contact. "Okay..." I gave him a weird look and left.

I found Mimi and Jeremy exactlywhere Jack said they'd be. From afar I could see that they were having aconversation so I waited a bit till they were done. To reduce the wait, Idecided to go and buy a snack. Going back, I came face-to-face with my worstnightmare. God knows I tried to avoid her. "Heard you had a date with Jeremy."She said as I passed by. I considered stopping but thank God I didn't. Justlike an annoying tick this girl refused to take a hint and leave me alone. "Iheard your parents are splitting up. Your dad found a new mistress or maybeyour mum got a new boy-toy." She yelled after me making sure to attack me whereit hurts most. I was going to be the better person, I won't stick around forher nonsense. All she wants is attention and I won't give it to her. She'll getwhat's coming to her soon. Although, what she said wasn't entirely wrong. Myparents did have a problem, but I didn't know they were planning on splittingup, or maybe she's lying about that as well. I pondered over what she said allthe way back to the field, where Mimi and Jeremy were. I looked up and they werewalking to meet me halfway. "Hey Maria." I hugged Mimi. "HI. Hi Jeremy." I tookin a deep breath to straighten myself out. "Hi." We all walked back to classtogether to finish the day and finally go home. It's strange how I completelyforgot the reason why I was looking for them in the first place.