Last Train Home [Request] [Kaz x Octane (OC)]

(A few people (justicelawSixxShot , @GeniseBallard ) actually requested I write this pairing, so here you go! It's set shortly after the first mission in Phantom Pain.)

---

He'd gone cold.

And quite frankly, it'd driven her insane.

Kaz lay on the helipad with his arm spread far from his torso, flexing his fingertips as he glared straight into the blazing sun, eyes concealed behind the veil of his deep amber aviators. His empty sleeve flapped wildly in the unforgivingly bitter wind, but the pain he felt within the cloaking made it seem like noting more than a breeze.

For this Kaz was thankful for his shades, hiding from the world the glittering tears that threatened to curl over his lower lashes. His breaths were shallow, and he cared not for the various soldiers that called his name and expressed their worry for him laying in such a dangerous area. After a few seconds of being disregarded, each wandered off to God knows where and carried on with their lives.

"Kaz, you idiot, get up!"

It was only this sharp remark that captivated his attention, as he knew only one person that'd speak to him in such a brash and abusive tone rather than the usual timid voices he was used to receiving.

"Good morning to you too, Octane." Kazuhira said bluntly, twisting a handful of his coarse blond hair before using his elbow to prop himself up; his cane to push himself over to the railing, clawing at it for a brief moment before pulling himself to his feet. While most would rush to help him up, Octane stood tall with sharp eyes, absently tearing at her cuticle as she waited for him to make his way over.

Make his way he did, though stumbling in doing so, resting most of his body weight in his good side as he rubbed at his aviators, though secretly pushing the remnants of teardrops away as the look on his face became stone cold and uninviting.

"What do you want?"

He didn't bother correcting his tone, bitter and thick with disdain. Octane tried to hide her stunned reaction to the venomous words, imitating the same icy voice as she poised an answer.

"For you to stop being so pitiful."

However, behind the cynical retort, she longed to say something along the lines of: "For you to be happy again." Or "For you to smile like you used to."

But of course, the lips that framed her face had long become vile and jaded, slitting the throats of any phrases of compassion or caring that dared to arise in her throat. Everything she wished to say was long deluded by poison by the time it hit the air, and even this she couldn't explain. It was a compulsion, an addiction.

A disease.

Behind the lenses, Kaz's eyes flared and his hand coiled around his cane in a white-hot fist of rage. However, a few waking seconds passed and his resolve became the same way I'd been the second his feet- or foot, rather, touched the new Mother Base after the torture. Empty.

Devoid of purpose.

"Look, Octane-"

"No, you look," She quickly silenced his bored tone with the harsh demand, shaking her dark coffee hair aside with a single erratic motion, infuriated. "You think the rest of us haven't gone through shit, Benedict? You think that you're the only one who's hurting right now? Do you? You don't get a free pass to make the rest of us fucking miserable because you think your life is over. The world will turn on without you, and I suggest you catch back up with it before it leaves you in the dust."