Chapter 5: The Search Begins

The Next Morning...
Casey

Mom and I woke up at the crack of dawn this morning. We had to pack all the essentials for our "quest." Food, water, clothing, weapons.

I can hear Beth talking to the town outside. She called a town meeting to tell them what we're doing and who's going to be in charge while she's gone.

"Casey, open that chest in your room." Mom says.

"You told me not to open it unless I needed too." I say.

"I'm telling you now because you will need it." She tosses me the key.

I walk into my room and Mom stands in the doorway. I put the key in the lock and unlock the chest.

Inside is a bow and quiver. The bow has a silver hand guard.

"The Hero's Bow?" I gasp. "I thought all of Dad's weapons were still with him."

"He was using the Hero's Bow to fight Ganondorf. When he was defeated, he dropped it. I took it because I wanted something to remember the man he used to be. Now, it gets passed down to you." Mom explains.

"Thank you." I hug her.

There's a knock at the door.

"Come in." Mom yells.

Beth walks in.

"You two ready?" She asks. She looks at the Hero's Bow. "You finally gave him the Hero's Bow."

"Wait! You knew that she had it?" I ask Beth.

"Of course. She told me to keep it secret from you. Sorry." Beth answers. "Anyway, you two ready?"

"Who'd you put in charge of Kakariko?" Mom asks.

"Kafei. He was the person that I trusted the most to care for the town."

"If all that's settled, then we're ready to go." Mom says.

Zelda

Outside, Beth and Casey load the bags on the horses.

"Hey, Mom, what's this horse's name?" Casey asks.

"Epona. She was your father's." I answer.

Beth, Casey, and I climb up on our horses. I hear the crowd behind us yell good-bye.

We approach a fork in the road in Hyrule Field.

"So, this is it." Casey says.

"We'll see each again soon enough, Casey. I promise." I say.

"I know. Be careful."

"You worry too much. I'll be fine. I love you." I say.

"Love you, too."

"Take care of him." I tell Beth.

"No promises." Beth laughs.

I laugh too.

We whip our reins and part ways.