Chapter 6: Waterworld

Beth

Casey and I arrive at Lake Hylia.

"This place has changed since I was here last." Casey says.

"When were you here last?" I ask.

"When I was ten. The scientist that lived over in that house over there let us stay there. When he died, four years later, we left. He was an old son of a bitch." Casey answers.

"How old was he?"

"102."

"So he lived through the Hylian War."

"He had mentioned some things about the war but never went into too much detail." Casey says.

Casey and I steer the horses toward a tree on an island with a bridge to cross to it. We cross the bridge and tie Epona and Eden to the tree.

"Right below here is the Water Temple." Casey says.

"How we get down there? Neither of us can hold our breathe that long." I ask.

"I planned for that."

Casey whistles a song that I recognize. The New Wave Bossanova. The song of the Zoras.

A Zora pops out of the water.

"Hey, Casey!" The female Zora says.

"Hey, Ruto. Do you have what I asked you to get?" Casey asks.

Ruto, the princess of the Zoras, holds up two golden objects on a bracelet. She tosses one to Casey and one to me.

"What are these?" I ask.

"Scales of the legendary Golden Zoras. They'll allow you to hold your breathe for ten seconds, which is exactly enough time to get to the Water Temple." Ruto says. "The Water Temple contains enemies from the past and the present. Be careful and good luck." She dives beneath the water and vanishes.

Casey and I put the scales on our wrists.

"Ready?" Casey asks.

"As I'll ever be." I answer.

We each take a deep breathe and dive into the water. We make it to the entrance of the Water Temple. The gate is still open from when Link defeated Morpha and Dark Link here.

Casey

Beth and I resurface inside the Water Temple. I gasp for breathe and so does Beth. We climb out of the water, soaking wet. Luckily, the Water Temple is warmer than the water and we dry fairly quick.

A bridge extends from the center platform, which is the only one left. Seems like the water, not to mention the years of neglect, has taken its toll on the temple.

We cross the bridge. There's a door that leads inside the pillar that the platform is suspended from. I turn the knob and we go in.

Inside is an empty room. Nothing or no one is inside. The door slams closed behind us. The torches that light the room go out and when they light up again, five figures stand at the other end of the room. It takes me a second but I realize who they are. The Fallen Dark Knights.

"So, this is the first trial. Facing the Dark Knights that we've killed." Beth says.

One Dark Knight shoots an arrow from a crossbow at us. It barely misses Beth's head and jams into the wall.