7

Mahree goes stiff as a rock when the familiar clicking and clacking came closer.  A shiver rushed down my back and I swear the hair on my arms stood straight up. Just like needles. "Good evening, participants." The Examiner announces. Her voice, although vague and bored, echoes through the room.

I feel Mahree's cold hand wrap around my forearm. I rest my other hand on top of hers. "You'll be fine, Mahree." I whisper. "Don't worry." The Examiners deadly glare in our direction says otherwise. Mahree doesn't seem reassured at all. "I don't believe you!" She whispers harshly. "I'm going to die! They're going to kill me, Violet!" I shake my head as she speaks. NO! I want to scream out and flip a table.

The Examiner senses the fury in my eyes and the weakness in Mahree's. She turns on her tablet and gives us a brief announcement that everyone did a great job, and that whatever happens will be for the greater good. Bull. Shit. How does genocide solve anything?!

The Examiner finally stops sugar coating. She takes a deep breath and begins calling people into the Discussion Room to tell them whether they pass or not. "Mahree Ashington." She booms. Mahree is hesitant to get up. Her body trembles with fear and tears well up in her eyes. She brishes her hand across mine as she walks toward the room. Then, she disappears.

The Examiner reaches Reggie Forrester in no time at all. I feel a wave of terror wash over me like a tsunami. I'm not ready to be Cleansed. I think about Magdalena. I can't leave her behind. I have to stay strong for her. But I realize I never gave a proper goodbye to her. I just waved goodbye and ran off. She'll be even more devastated. 

Reggie enters the room. Seconds later I hear her sobbing. I can't tell if it's happy sobbing or I'm-about-to-be-murdered sobbing. It doesn't make me feel any better. If anything, it makes me feel one million times worse.

"Violet Foxwood." She demands. I slowly rise from my chair and humbly stride into the room. I have to admit, I bet I looked pretty damn confident and strong walking in, but I felt like a wreck on the inside. My legs feel like mush and my head is spinning faster than the wheels of a train. 

I push the door open and take a seat in the cold, metal chair. A man in a lab coat reads the notes off the clipboard the Examiner was writing on during my Exam. "Violet Foxwood," he begins. "You scored a 99. I'm sorry, but you will be Cleansed. Please take the second metal door. It will lead you out to the train. Tomorrow afternoon you will be Cleansed publicly along with the rest of the participants who didn't pass along with you. Remember that this is all for the better of Noredge."

My stomach feels like it's about to climb up my throat. The tears start bugging at my eyes and this time, I don't stop them. My lip quivering and my entire body aching, I get up and walk through the second metal door that will take me to my death.

I trudge out to the train where I see about twenty people waiting to board as well. Everyone is facing away from me, but when the door slams behind me, they all turn around. The last one to face me is Mahree Ashington.