10

I wake up and the sun peers through the cracks in the shades. I feel a hard structure underneath me, yet its oddly comforting. I turn my neck to find Mahree laying under me with her eyes shut and her lips slightly parted. I gently kick the sheets off of me and get up to move the shades out of the way.

I part the curtains and the bright sun reveals itself. But not only that, but Purity does as well. Marble buildings decorate the town that I haven't seen in three years. Its a beautiful city, but anytime someone from a colony other than Purity comes here, its not for a good reason.

Mahree yawns as her body unfurls. "Morning." she says sleepily. Her eyes aren't even fully opened. "Do you want breakfast?" I ask as an invitation to the meal car. She pauses to think about it before giving me a smile. "Lets go, then." she replies as she rolls out of bed.

I slide the door open to find everyone silently eating their food. I'm overwhelmed by the rich smell of pastries, fresh fruits, and maple syrup. I just want to stuff every bit of the food into my mouth and not let anyone else near it. Mahree's mouth opens to a gaping expression. She licks her lips before walking toward the buffet table.

I follow close behind her with a hunger for fruit. The strawberries, cantaloupe, bananas, and blueberries are calling my name. Looking at the bowl of fruits reminds me of mom. As I think about her garden and never being able to tend it ever again, causes my hunger to pass. I was never able to tell Magdalena about it. The lost garden in the middle of the meadow is no more.

I put my empty plate on the table and leave to my room. I don't feel comfortable around any of these people. I barely even know Mahree, yet I slept on her shoulder and showed her the ultimate amount of trust. I haven't had time to think about her that way. Nor do I want to because I don't want to regret anything. Plus, we're going to be dead by the evening so why would it matter?

I sit on the carpeted floor and fold my legs up to my chest and let the tears flow. At this point, I don't even know why I'm crying. Is it for Magdalena,mom, or Mahree? Am I crying because I'm going to be murdered in a few hours? My mind is too foggy to figure it out. All I know is that I really just needed to cry. I was told by my mother that it doesn't matter why you're crying because it shows that you needed to let some feelings out.