Chapter Seven

Ere slowly opened her eyes to find the room bright with sunlight. She quickly closed them again, hoping that it would go away. Not surprisingly, the sun had other plans, most of which involved shining directly in the beautiful window of Ere's tower cell.

Grudgingly, she rolled out of bed, stretching and yawning. She looked down and found that she had completely spaced taking her clothes off last night, even if she didn't have anything to change into. She glanced back at the white sheets of the bed to find them smudged with traces of dirt. She furrowed her brow, annoyed with herself for screwing things up, even though she knew that technically, these people had kidnapped her and then locked her in a room. Plus, they hadn't specifically said anything about making sure that the bed stayed nice and clean, or anything to that affect, so she could also argue to herself that she wasn't breaking the rules at all because the rules weren't there.

As she continued to play the mind games that you tend to play with yourself early in the morning, she walked into the bathroom to wash off. She found a toothbrush on the edge of the sink, and she was certain that it was not there the night before. She glanced over to the shower, confused to find shampoo and conditioner as well as a bunch of other beauty care bottles sitting on the small shelf that was positioned over the tub. Wait a second. She thought, walking over to the walk in closet that she had found last night. They didn't- She opened it to find it full to the brim with clothing. She slammed the door, putting her back against it as though to keep a horrible monster inside. What the hell? Was someone in my room stocking it with clothes and personal care stuff? Were they watching me sleep? She opened the closet door again, hoping to find that she had just imagined it, but sure enough, there were tons of clothes. She shut the door, not exactly sure how to feel. These people were either trying to be nice and make her stay as comfortable as possible, or they were planning to play dress up with her. She never was a fan of fancy clothes, but this was way over the top.

Suddenly it occurred to her that she also had the vanity in her room as well as that dresser. She walked brusquely back into the bedroom, and pulled open the top drawer to find it full to the brim of underwear, socks, and bras. Holy crap. She thought to herself. This meant that not only had they watched her sleep, twice, but they had probably been through her underwear and bras to make sure that they had the right size. That or they eyeballed it. She wasn't sure which one she was more uncomfortable with. They both seemed pretty horrendous. She opened the three remaining drawers to find a variety of pajamas. They had filled a whole dresser full of pajamas for her. She began to feel sick. This wasn't something that any normal kidnapper would do for someone that they were just kidnapping to kill, or hold for ransom. This was only something that you did if you were expecting them to stay, for a long time. She walked over to the beautiful dark wood stool sitting in front of the vanity and sat down. Her head was spinning with the possibilities. You never heard about things like this on the radio, because things like this never happen. Whatever these people were going to do with her, it was not going to be anything she was expecting, and somehow, that frightened her more than the prospect of death.

A knock sounded at the door, scattering Ere's thoughts. She didn't even have time to call out permission before there was the clicking noise of the door being unlocked, and it opened. She shrank back into the vanity, afraid of whoever it was that was going to appear. In her mind, it was going to be some kind of horrendous monster that was going to drag her down to whatever torture awaited her. So when Rian's form appeared in the space between the door and the wall, she nearly screamed. Instead, she jumped, managing to fall off of the stool and hit her head on the corner of the vanity. She looked up from rubbing the forming bruise on the back of her head to find Rian's shocked face staring back at her, still in the doorway.