Chapter Thirty Three

Ere woke up in a bed. She slowly opened her eyes, looking around the room in confusion before she remembered where she was, and how she had gotten there. She looked around the room again, suddenly realizing that it wasn't the same as her room in the tower. There wasn't a the full floor to ceiling window to her right, and this room contained a piano. It was also larger, and the door to what Ere assumed was the bathroom was on the opposite side from her other room. She shook her head in confusion, wondering where she was and why she was there. She noticed a chair sitting in the corner of the room, empty. Suddenly, she heard a sound coming from the door that she had earlier dubbed the bathroom in her mind. It sounded like running water, but something about it scared her. She quickly closed her eyes again, pretending to be asleep. She heard the sound of the doorknob being turned, and she cracked one eye open as discreetly as she could. She was met with the sight of a tired looking Gem. He looked disheveled, his hair and face were a mess and it looked like he hadn't changed in a few days.

Forgetting her previous caution, she opened her eyes wide and smiled broadly at him.

"You're awake!" He commented, starting quickly towards the bed. Shock flashed on his face as he neared her, but he concealed it quickly, almost as if he didn't want her to see it.

"You sound surprised. Was I not supposed to wake up?" She tried to ask, but it came out as more of a croak than anything else.

The corners of Gem's mouth turned up into a tired smile. "You probably need some water, huh?" He walked over the bedside stand and grabbed a pitcher of water and a glass, filling the glass with water before handing it to Ere. She tried to drink it, forgetting momentarily that she was laying down and managing to spill it all over herself. She made a surprised squeak, dropping the glass and the rest of its contents onto her front in her shock. She never had been the most graceful person.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry. I should have remember to sit you up first." Gem said, already turning around to go get a towel. She opened her mouth to tell him that it wasn't really his fault at all, but he had disappeared behind the door before she could. He came back a moment later with a few fluffy white towels, and he proceeded to hand them to her and awkwardly stand beside her averting his gaze as she toweled her chest off. She stifled a giggle and handed the now wet towels back to him. He put them on the ground while he helped her sit up a little bit, before handing her a second glass of water and picking them back up. He wandered into the bathroom with them, coming back empty handed.

"Are you okay? What happened back there?" He asked her after a while, as they sat there quietly.

"I don't know. I felt like someone was trying to kill me, but it was someone that I couldn't quite see. And then everything just went black." She responded, thinking of how scared she had been. It occurred to her that this seemed like it was linked to the dreams, but where she hadn't been able to tell anyone about them, this truth had slipped off her tongue like it was meant to be. She concentrated on the memory of her first dream, the one with the field and the boy, trying to make it her entire mind focus on that one memory, almost like she was trying to put herself back into it, but no matter how hard she tried, there was always a part of her that resisted. It seemed to know what she was trying to do, and it was not appreciating her effort.

This is so dumb. Why do I think that I can hide my plans and thoughts from my own mind? From myself? If I didn't know them, they wouldn't really be mine, would they? She shook her head, disgusted with herself, before remembering that Gem was sitting next to her. She glanced over at him, hoping that he hadn't seen her shake her head in case he began to asked questions and ended up getting her into a sticky situation, only to find that he was watching her with pity in his eyes.

"I'm sorry to bring the memory back up. It must be unpleasant, huh?" He asked, and she breathed a sigh of relief. He didn't suspect anything.

"Yeah." She replied, taking extra time to make sure she didn't sound eager. They sat there for a few more minutes in silence, before Ere's eyes began to grow heavy again. She yawned, and Gem looked quickly over at her.

"You're tired. Take a nap. I'll make sure you're safe." He stood up off of the foot of the bed where he had been sitting, and helped her settle back down into the soft down of the mattress. He pulled the comforter up around her shoulders and brushed his hand gently over her hair before he stepped back, his footsteps receding to a corner of the room. Ere closed her eyes, and almost immediately slipping off to sleep, but not before she remembered that she hadn't asked Gem what this room was, or why she was here.

I know, I know. It's a really short chapter. I get it. XD anyways, hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and a vote would be greatly appreciated. See you!