Chapter 10

My eyes slowly open, and I'm tied down to a table. Yet again. 

I see the three people in the masks turned around, and it seems like they're conversing with someone.

"I'm telling you, she seems pretty promising." Wait, I know that voice! That's Theo's voice!

"Theo?" I call out.

The three masked people turn to me, and I can see Theo standing behind them. But, why would he be here?

"What're you doing here?"

Theo sighs, not answering my question.

One of the people grabs a stick and pokes me with it. It's an electrified stick. Instantly, all of my senses sharpen, and a low growl escaped my throat. "Stay away from me." I struggle against what's holding me down, but it's pure metal so I can't remove it.

My head is pressed down against the table, and a light is shined into my eyes. I flinch, only to have my head pulled back so I'm looking directly into the light.

"Your condition is imporving," the person says. "I think we can begin phase two."

"Phase two? It hasn't even been a week!"

"Phase two."

One of the masked people takes an empty syringe and walks up to one of the large tubes lining the room. They stick the syringe into a hole in the tube, and pull the plunger back. 

I already know they're going to inject me with it. But I don't know what it is.

"What is that?" I ask.

"Phase two," Theo answers.

"What're you doing here? Oh my god you're with them aren't you?!"

"You're not even gonna remember this by the time I pick you up in the morning."

"Don't come to pick me up in the morning!"

The person with the syringe walks over to me and examines my neck, probably searching for a vein. After a few seconds they stick the syringe into my neck, pushing the plunger down.

A loud growl escapes from between my teeth, and I shoot up, breaking the metal restraints.

Theo takes a step back. "Ec, calm down."

"Do not call me Ec!"

"Echo. Calm down. Just relax, take a deep breath."

"What did they just do to me?"

He sighs. "They put in a second species. I'm surprised they did, it usually takes a minimum of several months, assuming anyone lives that long."

"Is this who you are? Are you one of them?"

He shakes his head. "No, no I'm not a Dread Doctor."

"Then what are you?"

He walks over to me and places his hand on the side of my face, running over my cheek with his thumb. "I'm me."

I slap his hand away. "Don't touch me." I look down at my hands, and I see that my claws are out. Only... they're not the same as they were. They're thinner. "What did they do to me?"

"You're two species now." 

"What am I?"

He leans forward and whispers "a true chimera."