Chapter 20

Oscar checked his appearance in the mirror. Yes, he looked rather fine in his black tailored coat, crisp white shirt, emerald waistcoat and the emerald coloured cravat which Harry had insisted that he wore. he wasn't sure about it but wore it nonetheless. Oscar sighed, he didn't feel like going to the ball especially as he was attending it alone; He had failed to encourage Amelia to accompany him there, despite the few kisses he had managed to steal from her. He'd bring it up and then she'd disappear out of sight. He liked the warm relationship between them as it was different than he had with any other women. He loved his  part of the teasing where Amelia would turn bright red. He loved seeing her squirm and blush, all embarrassed. It clearly wasn't enough for him but he wasn't going to force himself on her. He was a man not a monster, despite all the wrong he may have done. Well, Oscar thought putting a brave face on and suddenly wondered about his private investigator whom he hadn't heard from in what seemed like ages. It seemed that he wasn't really getting anyway with the secret. Should he bother to pursue it any longer? But he knew he would keep looking until he knew the blasted secret his father kept.

Oscar was at the double front doors, awaiting his carriage, tugging on his cravat. Suddenly he heard a shuffle behind him and he turned and froze like a statue. His eyes became wide and his jaw dropped. There, standing at the top of the grand staircase was Amelia, in an unforgivably beautiful silk emerald dress looking like a gorgeous princess of the rainforest. Harry! Oscar thought. Everyone but him knew that Amelia was attending. What a surprise.  But he didn't care as he drunk in the mighty view in front of him. The dress showed off her petite, yet ravishing figure. Her hair was up in a near chiffon showing off her long wonderful neck. Oh, how he wanted to lick and kiss that skin. He quickly shut his mouth as Amelia caught his eyes and smiled, as if she was- shy. He gulped as he felt himself harden. No, he thought. not bloody now.

Before he knew it, Amelia by his side. What should he say? He was lot for words but knew he should definitely compliment her on the look. Dumbly, he held out his arm as Amelia placed her gloved hand on his arm.

'You are accompanying me then?' Stupid, stupid Oscar scowled at him as he caught the flicker of frown cross her beautiful face.

'Er yes it seems that I am.' She said with a hint of disappointment clearly expecting something more than the obvious.

'You look...relishing. I mean, enchanting.' Amelia smiled a dazzling smile. Stupid man Oscar thought to himself. Of all the vocabulary's in the world he chose that. He was amazed at the effect Amelia had on him. He was rarely left speechless and this women was making it a habit of his.

'Why thank you Oscar, you too look...enchanting.'  She had said it in such a mocking tone that he felt even more daft. Tonight. He decided. He had to have her tonight.

                                  ********************

 Amelia felt her heart beat quicken. Her first public appearance after 5 long years. It was like her debutante all over again, but this time she had a different worry. It wasn't about finding a husband, this time it was acceptance.

'Are you ok?' Oscar said, she looked at him to see his face, concerned. He looked so handsome tonight, so dapper and kissable tonight. She secretly thanked God that he was hers. She had found Oscar's loss of words entertaining and the way he had stared at her and ran his blazing brown eyes over her as if he was stripping her naked just with his eyes. Amelia blushed at the thought. It was going to be ok. Oscar was here, right besides her and she was different now.

'Er, yes just a little nervous.' Amelia looked outside the carriage towards the magnificent estate of the Heywood's. It was wonderful, illuminated with lights and noise.