#4- These Are The Roads Untravled

February 20th, 2015

Dad got mad at me, yet again, and told me to go outside because he's tired of seeing me mope 24/7. I was happy to be allowed out, Mom, however, thought he was insane. "She'll die out there," she screamed, "There's too much ash!" Her arguments meant absolute zilch.

I looked at him defiantly, pretending to be livid at him, and walked out. I even slammed the front door to add more flare to it. I know, I know, it was immature and stupid of me, but I could care less. I finally got out. He's grown tired of my constant complaining and I couldn't be happier.

I couldn't decide between going to my friend's house or taking a trip into town to see if there were any stores open. I went to town, trying to be adult, and immediately regretted breaking out into a run. The ash made it close to impossible to breath, my lungs hurt and I was lightheaded.

I knew that if I didn't get any air that wasn't tainted with ash I'd probably suffocate. I went to the nearest abandoned looking house and opened the door. I called out to see if anyone was there- no reply. I inhaled deeply as soon as the door was shut.

It felt great to be able to breathe again. I kept inhaling deeply until it hurt. Once I was done, I took a look around. The house was fully furnished, completely livable. The only difference between my house and this one- besides the obvious different house situation- was that no one lived in this one.

Knowing that our food supply was dwindling surprisingly fast, I went to the kitchen. I looked through every cabinet, their fridge, and the pantry. Everything was fully stocked.

Why would someone leave their house open, and everything fully stocked, and then leave it there completely unguarded? I had come up with three possibilities within the next three seconds: One, they're all dead; two, they've left town; three, they're out of the house and hoped no one would notice.

The last one gave me two options; either I take everything now, or come back later. I looked around some more, searching the bathrooms. They had shampoo and toilet paper.... We need those.

I quickly grabbed some toilet paper and shampoo and quickly ran out. I ran as fast as possible- trying to remain inconspicuous- back home. The door was open before I was even there, I was glad because I was wheezing from inhaling the ash.

I completely ignored Dad, and walked straight to Mom. I stood there for another minute or two, hands on my knees, head hanging trying to catch enough breath to say a single word.

"Here...you...go...." I said between difficult attempts at breathing. "I...ran to town. I saw an empty house and ran inside to catch my breath." I finally had enough breath to say full sentences. "I looked around to see if anyone was home, but there was no one there. I inspected their supplies and it was fully stocked. At the last minute, I figured that if they're not dead-" Mom gave me a stern look. "...they will be back soon. So I just grabbed some bathroom supplies."

"Well," Mom started after what seemed like forever. "I'm glad you didn't stay too long, but you could've died!" Here we go...cue the over exaggerations and tears. I mentally rolled my eyes. "These are hard times, Danni. Remember that we all want to last as long as possible even if we can't prevent the inevitable." By the end of her short speech she'd started crying silently.

-----------

February 24th

It keeps getting hotter. No electricity. I feel dirty constantly. No news.

-------------

February 28th

Last day of February. Its strange, we've lasted over a month with the constant threat of not making it very long after the meteor. Still no electricity or any sign of it getting colder soon.

------------

March 3rd, 2015

No one else is keeping up with the date, I told everyone today what day it was and they all tripped and kept wondering how we made it. I ask myself that everyday.

-------------

March 8th

I can't take it anymore, I haven't been outside since I went to that house and I'm going insane. I feel like if I spend anymore time in this house I'll shoot myself. Emma keeps sleeping constantly and skipping as many meals as she can a day without someone noticing. The same goes for me and Mom too. I wonder how long us girls will last with our near starvation diet.

---------

March 10th

Gran is sick, her cough is getting worse by the second. Everytime she coughs we all run to her side, scared she'll collapse and die. Gramps is the worst of us all. I don't think he'll know what to do without her once she's gone.

I don't know what I will do.

----------

March 12th

Gramps is struggling; he can't stand seeing his love so helpless. She's insisting she's fine but we all know she's trying to make us feel better. I want to help her, I want to be the one sick instead of her. I have a stronger immune system, why can't it be me?

I don't want to be here in the first place.

Why can't it be me?