#5-If I Ever Let You Down, I'm Sorry...

March 16th, 2015

Sometimes I write the year because of I feel like it's important, but now, who cares? We're going to die anyways.

--------------------------------

March 18th

My rock is gone. I don't know if I can live, she's gone. Her body is cold and still. Her soul left faster than I could blink. One day her soul was here, the next it vanished into thin air.

I was the one to discover it, unfortunately. I walked into her room to give her the medicine Mom and Gramps have been making her take and she was lying painfully still. Her eyes were closed peacefully, but her body was unnaturally cold.

I almost screamed, but my seemed to have vacated. I ran out, my vision a blur because I couldn't see past the tears. I stumbled my way to the kitchen and couldn't breathe; my hand was over my mouth to suppress my near screams. I couldn't seem to comprehend words to form sentences so all I did was point to the room.

Everyone jumped up; Gramps was the first one to run. He was the second one the find out. He was the first to speak.

"Honey?" He shook her hand and kneeled down next to the bed. "Hon? Please, please, wake up. Don't leave us just yet. We need you." He began crying. "Joan, I love you- I need you. Stay-" he cut himself off and abruptly left the room.

He still hasn't come back. We're having the burial tomorrow in the backyard.

----------------------------------

March 25th

New Orleans has been swallowed by water, it's gone, just like my reason for living.

-------------------------------------

March 27th, 2015

Everyone is a robot now. We don't feel anymore. We're all monotone, no feeling in any of our words. No sentence has a hint of sorrow or slight happiness. Everyone moves around like we're being pulled by strings.

When Gran left, she took us with her.

----------------------------------

April 3rd, 2015

I tried to go where Gran is today; I'm tired of living for nothing. I was stopped by Jordan who lectured me pleadingly, if that's a thing. He came in my room, asking if I wanted brunch. Then he saw me, on the floor bawling with a bottle of water and a razor blade. He snatched the razor blade away and sat me up, staring me in the eyes.

"Danni?! What the hell is wrong with you?!" It startled me at first, just because it was the first emotion I've heard in over a week. "Danni?! Answer me." I stared at him blankly, unable to process what had happened. "Danni, please, don't leave." He hugged me to his chest; he gave me a kiss on the forehead. "We love you, we need you. Don't leave, not yet. Please."

I tried to form words, I don't know why I was so out of it, maybe it was the first few small cuts I made to prepare myself or just the daze I was in, but everything was a giant haze. "Why do you care?"

He mouth fell open, his eyes wide. "Why wouldn't we? We're you're family. We care about you, we love you. You're too precious to lose. Please don't leave till we do."

I looked at him with wide eyes as he hugged me one last time and left.

--------------------------------

April 5th, 2015

Jordan never told Mom or Dad what happened. We still haven't heard from Gramps, we've all gone searching for him but we found nothing. We still haven't gone around looting other houses either. We've all lost the reason to.

-------------------------------------

April 7th

Dad's birthday, we had a tower of KitKat's for his makeshift birthday cake; Mom said she went all out because it may be his last. She said she'd do the same for the rest of us. I gave Dad a homemade card, it was simple but he couldn't complain, Emma didn't even get him anything.

Jordan gave him a small scrapbook of the family, he used the pictures off the walls. No one noticed. Mom said the Kitkat's were her present.

It was the closest thing to happiness any of us have had in a while.