Prologue

It was rather sunny that summer afternoon. Amongst the blonde, brunette and dark-haired families, there was a striking redhead family. They were a happy family. The father has a well-to-do job, the mother is a hard-working housewife, and their two happy children. "Angelina!" Their mother, Carmen, called out to her daughter, preparing their lunch. "Angel!" The copper red-haired boy ran from their shaded spot to the shore. Angelina turned her head around, still sinking her feet into the soft sand as the waves washed over her ankles. Her long apple red hair swayed gently in the breeze as she saw her brother running straight to her. She saw it coming.

His best friend came running from the side, slid underneath his legs and made him fall flat on his face. "Patrick Joseph!" He shouted, getting up from the sand. Her brother started coughing out the sand as Patrick Joseph laughed his head off, rolling about. Angelina giggled and ran over to the boys. "Jonathan, P.J., let's eat lunch." She smiled, hugging Jonathan's arm. He beamed at his sister. "C'mere you!" Jonathan wrapped his arm around Angelina and ruffled her hair. Angelina giggled as Patrick Joseph tagged her. "You're it!" He cried and dashed for the picnic spot. Angelina chased as Jonathan followed behind. "Ready to jump into the water?" Carmen asked. The three children nodded.

That's when everything came apart. That's when my world fell apart.

"Tag!" Angelina pushed Patrick Joseph and ran towards the boardwalk. He chased her. Jonathan watched for a while before his eyes widened. "Angel!" He shouted and pursued his sister. "Angel! Stop!" Jonathan shouted, but his words fell on deaf ears. "P.J.! Make Angel stop!" He called out to his friend. "Angelina! Stop!" P.J. shouted. But it was too late as she had passed the barred entrance. The boys stopped at the entrance. "This thing's broken... you know?" P.J. whispered to Jonathan. "Well duh, sherlock." He curled his lips in and looked up at Angelina. She was standing at the edge, looking at the fishes below the boardwalk. "I'm going in." Jonathan climbed over the barred entrance. "Stupid!" P.J. hissed, grabbing Jonathan's hoodie. He grabbed P.J.'s arm. "My sister is in danger. She can't swim." Jonathan growled, yanking his hoodie back.

It was my fault that you drowned.

"Jonathan!" Angelina turned around and ran over to him. "Angel! Stop!" He warned. Angelina stopped. Jonathan slowly and carefully walked over to Angelina. Each step dangerously creaking. "Angel, we can look at the fishes elsewhere. It's too dangerous here." Jonathan reasoned, holding both of Angelina's hands. He carefully treaded backwards. "Jonathan. I'm scared." Angelina whimpered. He smiled. "It's alright, I'm here. I'm still here."

Until that final step.

It was a swift motion. Jonathan let go of Angelina's hands, the board gave way and he fell through. "Jonathan!" Angelina shrieked, tears threatening to run. "Angelina!" She heard her mother scream. "Mum! Help!" She cried. "Jonathan fell!!" Angelina helplessly watched Jonathan struggle to keep himself above the surface. He was doing rather well, until he just stopped. Despite sinking into the cold waters, Jonathan made an attempt to smile for Angelina. She cried her eyes out.

・・・

The following day in school, Angelina wasn't as bright as before. "She had been traumatized," was what her parents had explained to her teachers. She didn't talk to any of the other 2nd graders or even the teachers. "Class, we are going to have someone new joining us." Their teacher announced. Angelina looked up from the book she was reading. Their blonde form teacher Mary-Katherine had small copper brunette girl beside her. Angelina looked out from the windows of their classroom and saw a couple, most likely her parents, in the principle's office. They were a blonde Frenchman and a hazel haired Londoner. "Now, please introduce yourself." Mary-Katherine told the girl. Even so, she said nothing, her eyes glued to the floor. "Well, you must be shy since it's your first time. Everyone, this is Camellia. Say 'hi' to her." Mary-Katherine smiled and the other kids screamed their greetings.