One Shot

Thank God these trials are nearly done.

"Alright girls last part of tonight, and yes that means you girls can go back to your Iphones and boyfriends"Stan's attempt at being funny failed.
...
For the last part of the trials we were all positioned outside of the halfway line. The parents and players still hanging around, moved closer onto the field to support all the girls, well apart from me.

Stan walks over with a ball in his arms, "Girls listen up carefully, this is probably the most important part of tonight, as the team needs players they can rely on". He starts walking backwards towards the penalty spot. "You'll each get one shot to get the ball in the back of the net."

My hands won't stop shaking, my heart rate is increasing rapidly. One shot, it can't be that hard right?

The supporters on the sideline all cheer and call out the players names.Sophie's parents are cheering her on and obviously Kate's name can be heard over the rest of the others.

I don't really expects my name to be chanted out, no one really came to watch me I suppose. 

I must've looked sad or nervous because one of the girls, who I don't know who's name is, turns to me.
"Hey, goodluck by the way"

Taken back a little bit, by her sudden act of kindness, I try my best to smile through all the nerves 

"ah thanks you too," I warmly reply.

The first girl steps up to the penalty spot. The crowd goes quiet. The tensions high and theres so much nerves and anticipation. The whistle blows. The player takes two steps forwards and strikes  the ball with the inside of her foot.The ball flys just above ground level. Heading straight for the bottom left corner. The keeper dives, attempts to save the ball,  she flys across the air. Only for it to hit the goal post and bounce out of bounds. I take a deep breath out, not realising I was even holding it in. What if that's me . What if i miss. No I can't think like that, as quickly as ghat thought emerged in my mind, I shoved it back down.

More girls come up to the penalty spot, more girls miss, some score. With each girl that scores my I can feel my confidence seeping away.

Its Kate's turn now. As she walks up to the marked spot, voices erupt in the night sky, as boys jump and start chanting her name. They quieten as she places the ball down and takes a run up. She shoots. She scores. Yah.

After a couple more girls it's my turn.

As I walk up to the penalty spot, everyone's silent. No ones cheering for me,no surprise. With every step I take, my heart beat becomes louder, thrashing against my skull. My hands are sweaty and my breathings become irregular. I reach the the spot. I place the ball, so the nike swoosh is facing me. I take four steps backwards. Line myself up. This is it. I look to the players, the ones who scored.The ones who missed. The ones who are waiting for me to fail. I looked up to the coaches. To the silent crowd. 

Everyones staring at me, yet theres no expression on their faces. Emotions of doubt washed over me. Did no one expect me to score. The parents probably didn't. The boys defiantly didn't. Did I ?

Knowing that I was only just stalling, I focused back to the ball. This is it. I take three deep breaths ONE...TWO-

"YEAH JESS, PUT IT IN THE NET, YOU CAN"

Astounded with what I just heard, I turn to the where the voice came from, not sure if I was hearing things. I vigorously scan the crowd feeling myself become more and more anxious. Darting back and forth between different groups of people, trying to locate my one and maybe only supporter. apart from Soph and Georgia.

It defiantly wasn't the parents or the girls who got cut, nor the coaches or girls behind me.

"C'MON JESS"

This time, I spot the person. My heart skips a beat and my body instantly floods with butterflies.  Its Jakob. His smile makes me smile. The boys around him are give him a weird look, but I don't think he cares, he turns back to me, giving me reassuring smile. 

With that boost of confidence I face the goals. If someone thinks that I can do it.

 I can do it.

The whistle blows. I take three steps and kick. My laces strike the ball. The ball slices through the air. 

Soaring

Soaring

 Heading straight for the top corner. The keeper extends for the ball. My heart is literally pumping out of my chest. It feels like the balls taking forever to reach the goals.

The balls going straight for the corner. Jolts of excitement flow in my body. The ball reaches the goals. The keepers fingers are centimetres from the ball, but fall short. I'm certain. I'm certain I've got it.

The ball hits the crossbar and bounces out of the keepers box.

I missed

A.N

So apparently In Stereo's making an album YESSSSSS !

comment and vote :)