An Apology Is In Order

Emma, me, and Bronwyn ran up the hill, past the girls who were playing on the hill, who raised questioning glances. We stopped on the porch.

"Living the same day over and over causes everyone's tension to rise." Emma explained. I nodded in response.

"Have a nice rest of your day Netta." She said, hinting I could go and didn't have to stay with her if I didn't want to. Which meant I needed to find something to do. I wandered around for a minute before stopping to see what the little girls were doing. They had their dolls out.

"Hey Netta!" Called Claire, waving me closer.

"Hello." I smiled back.

"Won't you sit down?" Marcy gestured to the ground next to her. I sat.

"How was your day at the beach?" Asked Olive enviously. I stopped, thinking of what had happened earlier, before deciding to definitely not tell them.

"It was excellent. I'll get someone to take you tomorrow if you'd like." I said.

"That'd be great!" Charlotte grinned up at me. "Which doll would you like? Mother or Father?"

"Mother please." I reached out to take it. It had perfect round features. Claire noticed me staring at it.

"Marcy made it. She's so skilled, isn't she?" Turning to Olive, asking.

"Most certainly." Olive replied. I placed the doll in the grass, moving it around.

"Who's who?" I asked. Marcy answered.

"Olive's the sister, I am the brother, and Charlottes the grandmother." She laughed. "Today we're going to the mainland, and in the future, America! Lot less hollows there." She added, making the doll talk.

"I don't want to go!" Exclaimed Charlotte in a strained, high pitched voice, playing grandmother. They all laughed hard.

I stood up to leave. "Do you guys know where Millard went?" I asked.

"Why do you need to know that?" Marcie smirked. I blushed.

Claire elbowed Marcie. "Well that was rude." She said. "She's shy and adjusting to a new setting."

"All right, sorry." Marcie apologized. "He should be in the library, he spends a lot of time in there."

"Thanks." I walked into the house. The library is on the second floor. I made my way up the stairs and came to the second door on my left. I knocked on the door.

"Come in." A voice that I recognized as Millard's came from inside. I opened the door and stepped inside. He was seated at desk, the book in front of him flipping pages.

"Hello." I whispered.

"Oh," he sighed. "It's only you Netta. I'm glad it wasn't Horace, coming in here to say a forced apology."

"I was only coming in here to say sorry." I said. "And to say I really do think your book is interesting."

"You do?" He asked, surprised.

"Of course I do! It does sound fascinating!" I assured.

"I'm glad someone thinks so." He sighed, closing the book. "Look at me Netta, getting worked up over such a subject."

"Millard, I don't care how stupid you're feeling at the moment. Let it go! Put it behind you!" I argued.

He straitened, getting up from his seat. "You're right." He said. "It's silly of me to dwell on the past."

Her moved to where I was standing.

"Thanks for helping me. Sometimes I need someone to talk to." He said, shaking my hand.

I smiled, letting him know it was no big deal. He moved to go, looking up at the clock on the wall.

"Six! Dinner starts soon! Come on Netta, you don't want to miss it!" Millard exclaimed, grabbing my hand and pulling me out the door.