Chapter 5

Heres the new chapter, I'm sorry it took so long! :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Can you please not look at me like that?” Travis gently spoke.

The sun was beginning to set, changing the sky into an endless array of colours. I took a step closer to Travis, still getting over the initial shock of seeing him.

“Alyssa,” Tamara hissed from behind. I looked back towards her to see a desperate expression cross her face.

“I want to leave,” she murmured, placing her hand on my shoulder lightly.

“Before you leave, please just sit down. I have something to tell you Alyssa,” Travis said humbly.

I hesitantly moved to a small bench that looked like it had been put there just for us. Tamara stayed where she was, not daring to take a step closer.

Sitting next to him on the bench made me feel like we were back in Quantera, just after having one of our intense training sessions.  What we did during our training varied; sometimes it would be physical, and other it times it would be more focused on the mental side of things, such as how to reach out to our abilities. It was hard to even grasp the concept of being capable of things out of the ordinary, let alone use them. I could only use them around Travis. I wasn’t strong enough on my own; yet.

“Alyssa,” Travis whispered in a tone so low that Tamara couldn’t hear, “I have some good and bad news to tell you, but you’ll have to get you friend over there to leave before I can say anything, because it’s, well, classified.”

By classified I assumed he meant some news about our planet and our people. I couldn’t turn that down.

I rose to my feet and stood by Tamara, she glared at me with her eyes filled with sheer terror.

“Maybe you should go wait in the hotel lobby,” I suggested.

“And leave you here with him? All on your own?”

“I can take care of myself,” I smiled, “I just need to have a quick word with him, I promise I’ll be downstairs with you in a few minutes.”

“I guess,” she said warily as she turned to go back through the door.

I nodded, then turned and put my focus back on Travis, he was just sitting there, twiddling with his thumbs, waiting.

“She’s gone?” he asked, lifting his head to face me.

“She’s waiting for me in the lobby,” I replied, sitting back down next to him,

“Look I know you have so many questions to ask me Alyssa,” he said, clasping my hand between his, “I can see it in your eyes, but please listen to what I have to say first.”

I nodded.

“You may ask why I left everyone that day. Why I let everyone die in vain. But I thought the best strategy at the time was escape, so me and five others boarded the last temporary escape pod and fled like the cowards we were. I’m so sorry for leaving them when you entrusted in me to protect. But it kept me alive, didn’t it?”

I smiled, and then suddenly realised what this meant.

“So you’re saying you brought others here? Where are they?” I was both excited and relieved; more people meant a better chance of giving our race a fresh start, a new beginning.

“That’s the bad news,” he sighed, “Only two remain, and they are both in the custody of a man named Isaac.”

I recognised the name instantly. Isaac held me captive for days on end. Torturing me, trying to get information about my people, about what we were doing on Earth.