Chapter 29 - UNCUT

Chapter 29 - UNCUT

“I don’t understand Jonathan,” I sat in the hall with Thomas, Jonathan and Douglas.  It was late and we had just finished relaying our conversation with Lord Percival.  “If you look so alike Torcall and you went by the name Torc, why did no one react like Lord Percival?”

“I don’t know Maeb.  But ten years is a long time. If it was believed that the line died out with Lord Maine then they would not be looking to recognise me as anyone other than who I portrayed myself.  I always maintained that we were from distant lands.”

“Maybe,” I mumbled, not entirely convinced.

“The only reason Percival recognised me was because you introduced me.  I expect too that given that he is facing his own death all his regrets and reasons for guilt would be foremost in his mind.  He was probably waiting for my father’s ghost to appear.”

“Possibly,” although what Jonathan was saying sounded reasonable I still couldn’t shake this feeling from my bones.

“I don’t believe that Lord Percival has anything other information.  He would not have lied.  He knows nothing of the fate of our father nor who really killed Charles.  I don’t think we have anything to gain by staying here.”  Jonathan turned and looked at me before asking, “Maeb, can we rely on Percy’s support if we oppose the King?”

I closed my eyes as I realised what he was asking.  A wave of despair flooded through me. This would mean condemning another who I loved.  His fierce loyalty towards me would see him walk to the gallows.  Percy didn’t deserve this. None of these men deserved this.

“Where do we go to next?  Who would know more than this man?” Thomas asked. 

I opened my eyes and found both Thomas and Jonathan casting worried looks towards me. 

“The Lords of the highlands have traditionally been wary of Edward.  I suggest that we visit them and let them see that the Queen is not where she is rumoured to be.  These Lords have suffered heavy losses in the last few campaigns so they will be less than impressed to find that the latest war was motivated by falsities,” Douglas spoke quietly, his eyes discreetly searching for stray ears.

“I agree, we fought alongside these Lords and their men.  They will hear us.” Jonathan nodded to Douglas.

“What about the truth, should we not be searching for that first?  Why don’t we confront Lord Robert?” Thomas scoffed at Jonathan and Douglas.

“My father does not take accusations lightly.  That would be unwise,” I quickly looked up to see Jonathan and Douglas, who both knew my father, nodding while Thomas still looked sceptical.

“Patience Thomas, these Lords may have heard rumours.  Also if we have their support it will strengthen us when we do approach Maeb’s father.  He will have to answer us because he won’t be able to silence us.”

I dropped my head.  Talking of my father like he was a villain was difficult for me.  He had always been a hard man but I loved him and would have done anything for him.  That was until the day he married me to his friend Edward.  That was the first time I truly opposed him.  But now I was planning his downfall.  Was I so divorce from the man who I once idolised?   Could I really do that to my father?

I abruptly stood, causing the men in my company to tense in surprise.

“I’ll talk to Percy,” I grumbled as I quickly left the hall.  But instead of finding Percy I found my way to the gardens.  I dropped down on to the broad stone steps and dropped my head between my knees.  What happened to a simple life?