• chapter one •

"I love you"

"Wise men say, only fools rush in. But I can't help, falling in love with you."

I'll start here, because otherwise I wouldn't know where to start. I believe it was around October when I began falling helplessly in love with you. Uncontrollably, wholeheartedly and painfully. I fell. Fell faster than the Autumnal leaves that gathered on the footpath of your house, that crushed as we walked over them. The crushing of the leaves masking the own cracking of my heart. My father had warned me to always be careful with my heart of course. But foolish me had worn it on my sleeve, and didn't feel anything when you took it within your hands.

We were driving in your car that smelled like cigarettes and coffee. I remember you put the heating on as I shivered from the gloomy weather from the outside world. Somewhere between the highways and byways your hand reached across the console to hold mine. My heart lurched out of my chest, in a way that only you could cause it to. My ribs felt fragile and weak as it thumped heavily against them, wanting to be released.

"Evelyn."

Your voice drawled out, the way it always has. Your accent full and rich and deep and warm wrapping me like a blanket to protect me from the harsh winter cold. You glanced at me with those eyes and God. It was like seeing the stars scattered across the darkest of nights.

"I love you."

And I believed you.