xvii- toast

"Zayn I tried to tell Harry!" I called through the apartment, from the front door. I came inside to find him in the kitchen, getting toast out of the toaster. He looked upon my noisy arrival.

"Tell him what?" Zayn asked, sounding like he only inquired to please me, and that he didn't actually really care.

"That I can't see colour. But do you know what happened? He already knew!" I threw my house keys on the kitchen counter and made my way across the open-plan space to the sofa, flopping down onto the soft cushioning.

"And then he was all mysterious when I asked who told him." I picked at my nail, trying to evade my inevitable next question.

"It wasn't me, Niall." Zayn answered before I could ask, walking to join me, a plate of peanut butter toast in his hands. I just nodded and kept my head down, picking my nail, but silently relieved.

"I promise I didn't tell him, hey, I was the one who said you should tell him in the first place." He took a bite of his toast, and looked toward me.

"Okay, I believe you. But who told him then?" I sighed and reached for a piece of toast off his plate. He tried to snatch it back but I was too quick.

"Dunno." he placed his plate down and grabbed the remote control from the coffee table, beginning to flick through sport channels.

I got bored with that pretty quickly, so I hauled myself off the couch and made my way towards my bedroom.

I took another bite of the toast in my hand, kicking the door shut with my foot and flopping onto my bed, staring at the ceiling.

How did he know?

Why did he get so mysterious?

Who told him?

...all ran through my head, and soon enough I was asleep, brow furrowed in confusion, no hint of a smile.

[at school we have exchange students and I signed up to be a buddy]

[uhh anyway, hope you like the book!]

[love you all]

[vote and comment!]

- J