The Date

Eri

Stop crying, you idiot

The phrase keeps repeating itself again and again in my mind. As I walk hastily I wipe fits of tears out of my eyes, trying to make myself half way presentable before someone sees me.

Why did he have to say that? And why did I care about this so much? For crying out loud, what was I thinking? I couldn't just walk up to him and say; "Oh, hey Thranduil, Prince of Greenwood, what's up? Want to explain your life problems to a lowly Silvan elf, because why not?"

My footsteps bang across the floor, and I try to slow down as I approach a more populated hall. Fellow guardsmen and regular citizens mill about, talking amongst themselves. They laugh, smile, and cheer, but no one looks sad, unlike I. In an attempt to avoid the tears in my eyes from being seen, I look down.

I study my outfit as I make my way across the floor. The tunic I wore was nothing fancy, but it was far from the ridiculousness Thranduil had been suggesting. I huff angrily, trying to brush off his words. We'd more than likely never have another encounter, so why did I care what he thought? Why did I even care about him? Sure, he'd supposedly been sick (though I suspected there was a little more to it than that), but he was clearly fine now. No reason to even think about him.

I should be focusing on my new job, anyway. It was exciting, right? So, why couldn't I just think about that and be happy?

I huff, stopping for a moment. My eyes scan around the room and I find a corner tucked behind a stone pillar, and quickly make my way there. I needed to collect myself, then get on with my life. I had things to do, places to be. I wouldn't even mention that encounter to anyone. I would pretend it hadn't happened, and get over myself.

The tears don't stop falling, even after what seems like forever. Before long, my sleeve is wet, stained with salty tears. Oh, I hoped no one would spot me. Definitely not Neolin, who I was taking an interest in, or even my friend-

"Eri!"

Oh no

I look up to face my good friend, Thiel. She wore a long red dress, not the typical elvish clothes but this elleth had always been a bit off. Her bright red hair bobbed up and down as she ran, a couple of braids tying loose and wild hair back. Her green eyes were warm and trusting, but they drop into a confused stupor when she sees the redness of my eyes.

"What's wrong?" She says. "Did you not pass your test?"

Before I can say anything she grasps my shoulder, staring me dead in the eyes. I find it difficult to meet her eyes, and I have the strong urge to wave her away as the Prince had done to me (be that extremely illogical given her Sindar status).

"No, I passed, thankfully. Not sure how, but I did." I say, forcing a smile. Thiel returns the gesture, only more sincere. "I think it's just stress from the new job."

I hope she buys it, but I really doubt she does.

And of course, she doesn't.

"Is that really what you're going with?" She says, shooting my a look. "I know you, Eri. You don't get stressed out this easily. And you just started being a full-time guard, you can't be overwhelmed already. I mean, sure maybe it's would be difficult at first and whatnot but I don't think you'd ever start crying over it-"

"Thiel, please get to your point. I don't want to be here right now." I warn.

"My point is tell me what really went on."

She crosses her arms across her shoulder, waiting for me to respond. I really do try to tell her, but I can't seem to find the words. When I don't speak for a couple of moments, she smiles encouragingly, out of nowhere. I shake my head, raising my hand to wipe the last few tears from my eyes.

"You know how the Prince was sick, right?"

She nods, her eyes encouraging me to continue.

"Well, we crossed paths in the halls, and he looked a little sickish, almost like he was concentrating on something too hard to get healthy."

"Yup, go on."

"Stop interrupting." I say, placing my hands on the hips. She grins, gesturing for me to keep speaking. "I tried to ask if he was okay, but he, well, snapped at me I guess. He insulted my looks and outfit. Looking back it really wasn't anything too awful, but at the time it hurt. It just...threw me off, I guess. His father is benevolent, but I guess the apple fell far from the tree."

"Well, I get why he might've been shocked that you were talking to him, but he didn't need to act like that."

"Yeah." I say, looking down as I feel a new surge of tears swelling up. Why did I care what he thought?

"Who cares what that dol lost elf thinks about you?" She throws her arm over my shoulder, giving me a slight hug.

"Thanks." I say, undoing her grasp. "I'll be fine. I just need a little bit of time to myself, I think."

"Well, come find me when you're done with your alone time." She waves and rushes off, and it's then that I notice she's been barefoot the entire time. I wonder where she's heading off to, but not enough for my thoughts to turn to the Prince as soon as she leaves.

"I am sorry, about earlier."

I jump, turning around suddenly. My heart leaps into my throat, my body chilled, as I see Thranduil, Prince of Greenwood, stands before me.

"It's fine, my Lord." I say, going into autopilot. "This does look a bit ridiculous on me, after all."

"After a better look, I think it's fine. Brings out your eyes." He says with a slight grin.

"Thank you." I say, sputtering. "I have to go now. Bye."

He looks a bit startled, but nods as I step away from him.

"Can I have your name before you leave?"

That request makes me suddenly nervous. Why did he want my name? Did he overhear our conversation about him? Was he just masking offense, but going to punish Thiel and I later? I better say my name before this gets worse.

"Eriulasse." I blurt shakily, my feet shifting farther and farther away from him.

"Goodbye, Eriulasse." He says, waving goodbye, his silver tunic gleaming in the light.

"Goodbye." I say, turning to leave.

My oh my, what a day it had been.