Apology Dinner

Eri 

Curse Thiel for her manners! If not for her awkwardly darting out of the room a couple of nights ago there would be no need to endure the downright uncomfortable situation that was dining with the Prince- in his room.

We'd only been sitting for a few minutes, the food laid out for us on small golden plates, silver forks to match. In all that time I'd yet to raise my eyes to meet his, and instead been staring rather ungracefully at the meal in front of us. I hadn't eaten anything, of course. Maybe Thranduil would believe I was just a picky eater? Or that my healing was still affecting my ability to think?

I tighten up a little more at the thought of our meeting a few moments ago. How embarrassing it had been to be in front of anyone, but especially him, basically drunk and with no sense of reality in sight.

"And you're blushing why exactly?"

In a feeble attempt to maintain whatever dignity I had left, I'm forced to look up and meet his slightly confused gaze. I blush a deeper scarlet, the heat rising up behind my ears.

"I apologize my lord, but as I'm beginning to recover more of my memory I distinctly remember how I acted before. I really do apologize, honestly."

"Well, at the very least it was entertaining," He says with a chuckle, sipping a cup of wine.

I shoot him a look, and he gestures towards the meal in an attempt to steer the conversation somewhere else.

"Aren't you hungry?" He says, a hint of concern in his tone.

"Yeah, I suppose I am," I say.

Without really looking at what I had decided to throw on my plate, I grab an abundance of vibrantly colored foods and a small glass of something I couldn't identify. I wasn't used to such a fair sustenance like this. Leafy greens, lembas and small portions of meat is what I normally consumed. I hoped my stomach would be able to handle whatever I just stuffed in my mouth. It tasted fine, deep and rich and exploding with flavor, so perhaps that was a good sign.

"This is good," I say quietly in an attempt to fill up the awkward silence.

"I've had better though I'm sure this is all new to someone-"

He stops himself immediately, biting his lip. Was he about to say someone like me?

"My apologizes, Eri, it seems I've all but forgotten how to really interact with my fellow elves." I nod and give him a half smile, masking the twinge of hurt I felt.

"Apology accepted," I say. "But, if you don't mind my prying, what exactly was it that caused you to forget?"

He stops, mid-drink, and places down the cup. My heart begins to flutter as I realize I might've just overstepped my boundaries. I look down to avoid the sudden pain moving in fleeting waves across his face.

"Sorry, my Lord," I mutter, taking a sip of my own drink. Unlike the food, I don't quite enjoy the flavor. It was too dull.

"It's fine," He says quickly. "I don't suppose you recall my sudden illness?"

I nod.

"Well, it wasn't exactly an illness, but it certainly robbed me of my ability to be polite." I nod again, and I can tell by his tone that's all he wishes to say about the subject. Perhaps I shouldn't push my luck.

"Sorry to hear that," I say in a (hopefully) respectful manner.

"Yeah, well, it is a bit pitiful that a future king can't even address his own people in a dignified fashion."