P L A Y I N G T H E G A M E - C H A P T E R 27

Chapter 27

12 Hours Later...

Red, blue and flashing white lights along with yellow caution tape blocked off most of the street. Detective Moore rolled her eyes at the amount of nosey people who were outside watching. Detective Moore turned her car off from across the street and got out, walking toward the scene. She stuffed her hands in her coat pockets as she looked at the few crime scene investigators walking outside along the perimeter of a old run down house. She noticed a black BMW 6 Series was also sealed off with caution tape, right outside of the house under investigation.

When she got toward the yellow caution tape, she lifted it up just a little to dip underneath it. A cop was about to say something but saw the logo on the thin navy blue coat she wore showing she was with the team of other specialist investigating the crime. Moore walked up to a crime scene investigator, making sure to stand back so she wouldn't mess up potential evidence.

"Found anything yet? Anybody see anything?" She asked.

Rookie Carl turned around and just nodded his head no. "We got some bodies and some evidence inside though. You gotta go through this yard," He said giving her direction. "The person had the front door sealed off."

Moore nodded her head and followed his directions making sure to look around while she cautiously walked, in case she may have stumbled across some evidence. Leafs crunched under her feet as she walked through the grassy driveway until she got to the back. She walked up the three stairs and walked inside the abandoned house and saw a few specialist walking around. Some snapping pictures while others checked the place out.

The first thing Detective Moore saw were two bodies. One strapped to a chair by metal chains and another laying on the ground. She walked over to one of her many partners who was kneeling next to the dead female body on the ground.

"Damn, who's this?" Moore asked, going inside her pouch to pull out latex gloves. She put them on then crouched down, staring at the girl's face.

Detective Gilbert studied the bullet wound in the victim's head while he spoke. "ID'd her as Creanna James. Twenty year old college student. But I don't think we can mark her as a goner yet. Check this out..." Gilbert said lifting the girl's arm. He then looked at Moore and motioned with his head toward her arm.

Moore raised an eyebrow at him for a second then hesitantly took the girl's arm, lightly pressing her thumb down on her wrist. She felt a very faint pulse. Moore looked at him. "She's alive."

He nodded his head, "Yeah, hardly. She's lucky. I almost didn't detect it. She was almost about to get put in a casket instead of on a stretcher. An ambulance is on the way for her, though. She's in critical condition so I doubt she'll make it by time she gets to the emergency room, but just to be sure they'll try to resuscitate her on the way their."

Moore sighed and got up the same time Gilbert did. He walked across the room then looked over his shoulder at Moore. "C'mere and look at this for a sec."

Moore walked up next to him and looked down at the black streaks on the ground.

"See this, tire marks. A car was here."

"Ah..." Moore said raising her eyebrows. She sighed, "But see the thing is I asked the rookie Carl, outside. He said no one saw anything. So we don't have any witnesses to know what kind of car it was. Or if they do know, you know how things go nowadays," she said putting up air quotes. "No snitching."

Gilbert scratched his short sweaty brown hair, looking at Moore. "We do have one witness but she's a child. She has a disability so we took her down to the station so one of the specialist could communicate with her since she's retarded."