Chapter Two: Who's Emma?

Who’s Emma?

In time for lunch, the school bell sounded throughout the grounds. Gratefully Emma turned off her blowtorch, shoved it in the nearby cupboard and stared at her sculpture. What’s wrong with it? She puzzled. It was darker than it should be. Soon enough Emma realized that she was still wearing her welding goggles and quickly removed them. That’s better.

Poking her head around the side of her screen, Emma saw most of the students had already left for lunch, which only left two students still in the classroom, who were Treeroot and Aimée. Instinctively she stored this information in her mind. Emma knew she was the jackpot of all the information around Canstar, but to get all that information she had to be on both sides of the law. Recalling a particular bad event sent shivers down her spine. While Emma was off in thought, Aimée silently walked up to her and tapped her shoulder. “Excusez-moi,” she murmured.

On the inside Emma practically jumped out of her skin with no hope of returning, but she kept her face emotionless, just by the fine and few threads of composure. “Yes? You’re that girl, Aimée Perkins, are you not?”

Aimée replied with a smile, “Oui. I was just wondering why you don’t like your name.” Emma was a little surprised by the new girl. Her English was excellent; if it wasn’t for a little French here and there, no one would have even notice her accent. Keeping up her appearance Emma simply shrugged before she answered her question, “I don’t have much choice in the matter.”

“Why, it is your name isn’t it?” Aimée questioned, now utterly curious by Emma’s way of avoiding the question.

“Yes, but I am known throughout Canstar as the Mackintosh Dictionary. That’s because I know what’s occurring everywhere, like a dictionary. I’m also known as a ‘computer whiz’ hence the computer part…” Emma’s voice rapidly trailed off as she spied someone in the doorway.

With his lanky figure leaning against the frame, the boy’s ice blue eyes carefully watched Emma from the distance. Facing the distraction, Aimée admitted she liked his appearance, with his firm chin and hawk nose nicely placed on his oval face. Emma knew who it was, Andrew and just his name made a smile spread across her face. Emma recalled Andrew’s voice had broken last week, leaving it deep and strong and making him all the more attractive.

“Emma,” he gently yelled. “I’ve got your lunch...maybe you should start on the tractor. I pushed it behind the library for you.” With a sudden smile from Andrew, Emma felt like she was hit with a camera flash, but she couldn’t allow anyone to see.

Instantly in control of her emotions, Emma wiped the smile from her face and replied with her flat and empty voice, “Thank you, Andrew.” Quickly grabbing her bag, Emma turned back to Aimée and plainly stated, “If you wish to continue your questions I suggest you find the library.” With that Emma was out the door and followed Andrew across the school to the back of a large brick building, the library, with a pale red tractor behind it.

Finally when they were alone behind the library, Emma smiled and thanked Andrew properly. “You have no idea how hard it is for me to get my lunch from the canteen and avoid people wanting to bombard me with questions.” This time her voice held all the emotion it should, “I really appreciate this Andy. Sorry if I sounded ungrateful.” As unexpected as the first, Andy shot her with another camera smile.

“It’s ok Emma. I understand more than you think. What I don’t understand…” He said slipping his bag off. “Is how you eat all this food?” Opening his bag, Andy revealed two soft drinks, two salads, three donuts, two bottles of water, a sticky bun and two fruit containers. With a casual smile and shrug, Emma pulled out 50 dollars and made a swift exchange.