Chapter Eleven: Sabrina

Sabrina

Autumn was closing in on Canstar. Aimée looked at her calendar and shook her head; somehow, against all logical sense, Canstar had managed to have their Christmas in autumn and still be at the same time as everywhere else.

What am I going to get Alice for Christmas? She wondered. It’s not often I go Christmas shopping for a hero. Aimée packed her books into her bag and looked at her bedside table. Sitting there, beside her training staff, was her birth gem. She shrugged and packed that to, it felt weird to be without it.

Picking up her bag Aimée ran down the stars and grabbed a piece of toast and coffee before running out the back door, she had something new to show her friends.

Emma was happily waiting behind the library for the rest of the Fearsome Fighters. She’d worked out Aimée’s nickname and fixed the tractor, and she was always happy when she completed things, she was nearly smiling. A thump on the roof told Emma that Treeroot was here, and if she was here Max couldn’t be too far away.

  “Hello, Elf.” Emma said looking up at her friends, Treeroot shook her head.

  “Why do you insist on using my nickname all the time?” she asked.

  “Because Emma doesn’t like to think you’re human.” Max answered for her jumping down from the roof. “She thinks you’re an alien from out of space!” he made ‘antenna’ with his fingers and started walking around making strange noises.

  “I’ve found Aimée’s nickname.” Emma said, changing the subject. Before Treeroot could say anything Andy came round the corner. Most of the blue had gone but his skin still had a tinge to it.

  “Hello, Enchanted Blue.” Treeroot said with a grin, Andy looked up at her.

  “Shut up.” He mumbled. Max walked up to Andy and started to sing ‘I’m blue’. Andy smiled and joined in. 

  “Guys!” came a yell from the other side of the library, just then Aimée came speeding round the corner on a brand new bicycle. She skidded to a halt, spraying dirt and gravel everywhere. Aimée smiled from under her helmet, “Like my new bike?” she asked. Emma came over to have a look at it and her jaw dropped.

  “No way! How did you get a ‘Witch Stick’? There not even out over here yet.” aside from Aimée the rest of the gang was confused.

  “What’s a ‘Witch Stick’?” Treeroot asked, “Aside from a bicycle.” Emma started explaining:

  “A ‘Witch Stick’ is the fastest publicly available bike. It’s called a ‘Witch Stick’ because it’s supposedly as fast as a witch’s broomstick, hence the paint job.” Emma pointed out the broomstick painted on the side.  Aimée beamed proudly.

  “My parents bought it for me before we left Paris and didn’t tell me. It got lost in the mail, along with Maman’s good china and Papa’s pocket watch, they only got here yesterday.” She explained. Aimée took of her helmet and let her brown hair fall down, “It’s so good to finally get rid of that cap.” she sighed. “It’s was kind of weird when you need to wear an ‘I believe in Magic’ hat when your hair is changing colour by magic.”

Emma saw Max walk to Aimée’s side and gaze at the newly found Gemtan. Something was between them but Emma just couldn’t pinpoint what. Emma stood up and shrugged.

  “At least both suite your nickname.” Aimée looked at Emma and her eyes sparkled.

  “I have a nickname? What is it?” she asked looking at everyone. Treeroot shrugged.