Chapter 10

Aria, don't panic, I can sense your anxiety. All you did was shift, because you're a demigod. Think about it, we get to run with Crystal, er, your human wolf friend, Katelyn! Ooh, look, a butterfly! Rain squealed in delight. I ran forward to find the butterfly, and sniffed the air. I could sense a sparkly presence. Look, over there!

I looked to the spot where Rain was guiding me to, and saw the delicate creature. I creeped quietly, careful not to scare it. I was close enough that I could see the pattern on its wings, a pale cotton candy pink color with flecks of gold on them. But then Rain and I noticed something.

Butterflies don't wear heels.

This "butterfly" had a Puerto Rican skin tone and dark curly hair. Isabella. She clapped her small hands and fluttered towards me. She flitted around me, making me paw at the air trying to catch her. She looked confused.

"Um, Mark, who is this?" Isabella zipped to him. Mark just shook his head ;I don't think he could hear her. She was a fairy after all. She suddenly started to grow until she back to human form, well a human with wings.

"Austin, you're from the demigod world right? Is this something that you demigods do because this is AMAZING!" She shrieked, while jumping up and down, but then she turned to me. "Oh, another question, why did you bring your overgrown dog?"

Rain growled. I don't think me and her will be getting along very well. Don't worry, I mind linked her, She doesn't mean it like that. She is one of my friends, she means no harm. Ok, I guess. Does she like candy?

"That's Aria. She shifted, just like you. It's pretty obvious you're a fairy." Austin explained.

"Oh," Isabella giggled. "You mean Stephanie? She's my companion, and she's awesome!"

I sniffed the air again. I can smell, books. And owls. And.....intelligence. Is there someone from Athena here? Rain questioned. I turned to Mark and told her it was him. Rain inwardly grinned and I trotted to Mark, and sat at his feet. He crouched down and rubbed me behind my ears. Ooh, I like him! Oh, I forgot to remind you, if you ever find someone you love very much, I can try to connect with that person to see if their good for you! Cool, now I can have an awesome love life!

Then, suddenly Mark started screaming in pain. My wolf body instantly started to hurt, I was feeling his pain. You see, this is a connection already made! If you decide to date him, I would totally approve!

Austin tossed a cube of Apollo's Nectar into Mark's mouth, and stood back. Wings sprouted from Mark's back, and a lion's tail and ears. Then he stopped screaming bloody murder and allowed the change to happen, and in a matter of seconds, Mark had transformed into a Griffon. He flew in the air happily, did a somersault and flew back down. His mane was a golden rod color, he had a creamy brown colored fur, majestic white wings, and dreamy green eyes.

Oh, that Griffon's name is Griffen! I've known him since I was a pup, we took demipet training together! Oh and Stephanie is Isabella's companion, I never really cared for her, she always ate my steak!

"Wait, Austin, how do you shift back into a human? I do have to go to school tomorrow." Isabella said.

"Well," Austin replied, "Tell your companion 'I'll see you soon' and you'll shift back. To shift back to your form, you just concentrate and summon your companion by calling it's name."

Well, um, I guess this is it for now. Please don't forget to take me out on a run at least once a week! I can only talk to you when you're in form, and I don't wanna be lonely.
Okay, I swear to Gods I won't forget! Well, I'll see you soon!

Suddenly, I started to shrink and shift into a human. It wasn't as painful as when I shifted, thank the Gods.

I dusted off my jeans for the second time that day and spotted Barry, but he was with Isabella. They were talking and laughing. I still hadn't told Isabella what I think about this issue with her and Barry. I walked over to the pair.

"Hey, can I borrow Bella for a second?" I asked. I didn't really ask, it was more of a demand. Isabella looked worried and followed me to the far court.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked Isabella.

"I don't know...I mean, I know you and Barry aren't on good terms right now, and I'm sorry, but I couldn't help it! I really like him! He's sweet, kind, funny-"

"You're basically describing everything that demon over there isn't," I stated. "How do you not understand that he tried to kill me twice! It's just that I don't want you to get hurt."

"I know, and I'm sorry. Don't worry, I'll let you know if he displeases me in any way, and make sure that you 'handle' him!" Isabella giggled. I laughed also, Isabella could make any bad day into a good one. "So are we still going to Halloween Party tomorrow night?"

"Of course, but can we keep our powers in control?" I asked.

"Oh, I have a sonic voice ability, which can actually hurt people, so as long as I don't sing I should be fine. I think you have the Essence of Fire and Light, so as long as you stay away from heat, we should have a pretty fun night!"

The thought excited me. I could throw fireballs at people! I was so excited, I held out my hand and concentrated. Twirling my index finger in the air, sure enough, I produced mini fire tornado. I played around with it, scaring Isabella with it a couple of times, until I closed my hand around and it dissolved into smoke and ashes. Just then, my phone chimed.

I glanced at my phone, seeing that received a message from Dad, saying that it was time to come home. I waved goodbye and let Isabella drive me home. I was feeling a feeling I hadn't felt in a long time.

Freedom and carelessness.