Puzzle

Maya's POV

She pushed him away.

Josh had kissed her and she pushed him away. Not that he wasn't a good kisser. No, it wasn't that. It was just that after some seconds of surprise she remembered all the reasons Josh and she couldn't be together. At least they had a good start. His arms holding her waist, her hands on his T-shirt, on his face, through his hair.

But they still weren't good for each other. They weren't Cory and Topanga. The weren't perfect.

She opened her eyes and looked up at Josh. He was frowning and looked confused.

-Sorry ,Maya said, it wasn't a good idea.

He was still to close to be normal though.

-It wasn't a good idea?!

At that he took a step away from her.

-It was a perfect idea! It was what you wanted Maya! ,he yelled.

The girl stiffened. She wouldn't lie. She wanted this, yeah. But it didn't really matter.

-What about Cory, huh? What about him?! He didn't like it when Riley went in a date with Lucas! You think he'll like this?

-Maya it doesn't matter! You're not a kid anymore and I'm too old to let him stop me! , he continued.

Maya didn't know what to say. All these years it was she that convinced him that they would be good for each other, not him.

-And what about the age difference? ,Maya asked, Did you forget that?

Josh looked at the sky. He face was hard and angry.

-I was stupid to care Maya. It's just three years.

Maya didn't respond. She kept her eyes on the ground as she got off the table. She fixed her dress a little and kept staring at the grass.

-Maya if you didn't like this just say it! ,she heard Josh saying.

She was Maya Hart, how could she possibly dislike this? Was he messing with her?! She looked up at him again and the hard mask was gone. He looked hurt and the moon reflected in his dark eyes.

-Say it, he whispered now that she was looking at him

She took her eyes of him.

-Say what? Josh I'm Maya. I'm here! I'm the one that annoyed you some years ago! I'm the one that went to the same party you did just to make sure you wouldn't kiss a girl! I'm the one that made a complete ass of my self as I said I liked you in front of everyone! But I was always three years younger. I still am. Nothing changed.

-I did Maya. I don't see you the way I used to. Once I stopped seeing you as a child, I was a goner.

Josh took a step closer and she did too, not thinking about it. They were close again and she was staring at his eyes.

-I mustn't look at you too much. ,Josh said quietly, I might not be able to take my eyes of you at all.

Maya laughed and blushed. She smiled at the ground, trying to hide that he had that big affect on her. He placed his hands on her waist but didn't move further. Maya LOVED that. She loved that he waited for her respond, her permission. She looked at him again and she placed her hands on the sides of his face.

They kissed again. Slowly now and softer. Their lips moved slowly. They fitted completely like two puzzle pieces.

Josh let her go and took a deep breath.
His hand casually took hers. She looked at him and smiled. He smiles back at her and her heartbeat fastened.

They walked in silence until they reached the car.

-We should be going home now, Josh said as he opened the door for her.

Maya got in and waited until Josh did too. They drove and drove and drove . they reached the Mathewss's house and get in.

Riley was there sitting with Auggie and Ava. Cory had his hand around Topanga and they were sitting on the couch.

-MAYA! ,Riley screamed and hugged her best friend.

-She's a monster save me save me! ,she whispered to her ear.

Maya laughed quietly. Riley was obviously talking about Ava, Auggie's friend. She was really pretty now, but still had that terrible voice that could scare all the birds away.

-Hello there! ,the little girl said, looking directly at Josh.

He smiled with half of his mouth.

-Hi Ava. It's been a while.

-You are gorgeous! ,the girl continued.

-Ava! ,Auggie yelled.

-Josh! ,Riley said.

-Me?!

.....

Topanga finally gave Ava a ride.

Josh, Maya, Riley and Cory were sitting on the couch. Topanga tried to make Auggie sleep.

-So how was the dance? , Riley asked.

Josh and Maya shared a glance. She still didn't manage to read him that way she usually read Riley.

-It was good. Lots of college people ,Maya answered her best friend's question.

-I kissed Maya. ,Josh said.

Maya liked honesty but that was too much. You don't just tell your older brother that you hooked up with his student, who happens to be his daughter's best friend. You just don't do that.

Still, Mathews's face was almost worth it. At first it got white. Maya guessed that there were dead bodies with more color than his teacher. Then he murmured something Maya didn't catch and his face became a face again. Its color reappeared and his face kept turning red, even when he already looked like a tomato. It only stopped when it was so dangerously red that Riley gasped.

His eyes got.bigger and bigger and he got up just when Josh did.

-You did WHAT?! ,Mr. Mathews yelled.

-Brother, calm down. ,Josh replied.

-OUT! NOW! ,Riley's father kept yelling.

To be honest, Maya had never seen him like that. He wasn't mad like when Lucas asked Riley out. He wasn't angry. He was furious. He was out of control.

Obviously, he was loud too and Topanga appeared.

-What's wrong?

Mr. Mathews didn't answer. His furious eyes were on Josh.

-Josh kissed Maya, Riley answered her mother's question.

Topanga sighed like she as expecting it. She reached for Cory. She took his hand and squeezed it.

-Come on Cory, let the kids alone.

Cory shook his head.

-Out. ,he said, quietely now.

Josh looked at Riley. She smiled at him but didn't say anything. Then he turned to Maya. She looked at him too but remained quiet. If she had to choose between Josh and Cory she'd choose Cory. She needed a father.

Still, it hurt to lose Josh. She had just found him.

Josh shook his head in disgust and walked out the door.

The room was silent. Maya's eyes were starting to get wet and wouldn't leave the door that her since forever crush just passed.

It was silent. Almost silent enough to hear Maya break.