7)Mystery Meat

"Come as you are" by Evan Peters: AHS Freak Show
***

The drive to the quaint farm beyond the highway passed quickly, punctuated by small arguments between Alyssa and Luke that made Cory visibly tense with unasked questions about their connection. It wasn't until the unlikely trio walked up the gravel pathway to Ben's house that Cory finally voiced one. "So... if you guys dated before, how did you not know your younger siblings are dating each other?" Cory's curiosity spilled out as they approached the front door.

Luke spoke up first. "Cassi's always been this sweet kid. I never connected the dots that her sister was the infamous 'Falls Creek shrew'," he remarked casually, sending Alyssa a teasing smirk.

Alyssa clenched her jaw, responding with a shrug. "We didn't really discuss our families. But deep down, I probably knew. Tyler's a piece of work, so it's no surprise his big brother isn't any different." Her tone was serious, prompting a scowl from Luke.

Before he could retort, the front door swung open, revealing Mrs. Fallon. Cory jumped slightly, clearly startled by the sudden appearance. They hadn't even had a chance to knock. Mrs. Fallon, an older woman with lank gray hair and a stern expression, raised her eyebrows as she took in Alyssa and the others. "Alyssa, I didn't realize you were back in town," she greeted slowly, a faint smile softening her features.

"Yeah, just got back," Alyssa replied quickly. "I need to speak with Ben about Cassi. She's gone missing."

As Mrs. Fallon brushed back her gray hair, her age became more pronounced, emphasizing wrinkles that hinted at her mid-seventies. Alyssa briefly wondered why the Fallons had waited so long to have a child—if they'd been married since their twenties as they claimed, why wait until their fifties? She pushed the thought aside; she had a purpose here, and it wasn't to judge the timing of someone else's family planning.

Mrs. Fallon's gaze lingered on Cory and Luke beside Alyssa, her hesitation noticeable. "I heard she ran off with her boyfriend," she finally responded.

"We have reason to believe that's not true," Luke interjected, his tone tinged with annoyance. "Can we speak with Ben?"

"I'm afraid he's napping. He had a terribly busy weekend, and frankly, he's pooped," Delores answered with a sigh, starting to close the door.

Luke wasn't having it. He put his foot in the door to stop her from closing it. "He's sleeping at four in the afternoon on a Sunday?" Cory questioned skeptically; his straightforwardness evident. Alyssa appreciated his knack for calling out BS without hesitation. Mrs. Fallon seemed poised to respond, but Alyssa stepped closer, assertive.
"Oh, it won't take long," she said sweetly, her voice edged with determination as she pushed her way inside. She noticed Mrs. Fallon's jaw tighten, perhaps out of annoyance, as she stepped aside reluctantly. Cory and Luke followed Alyssa into the Fallon's living room, where the aroma of garlic and oregano filled the air, reminding Alyssa of her empty stomach.

"Mmm. What's cooking?" Cory asked politely, taking a seat beside Alyssa. Unlike Alyssa and Luke's casual entry, Cory seemed slightly uncomfortable, fidgeting with his fingers as if he felt guilty for barging in.

"My homemade stew," Mrs. Fallon replied warmly, walking towards the kitchen with a hefty black mallet in hand. "I was tenderizing the meat before you kids arrived." Her blank expression lingered on Alyssa, who couldn't tell if the woman was genuinely annoyed or if it was her imagination.

Cory swallowed nervously. "It smells really great," he offered politely.

"Thank you, dear. It's got a few secret ingredients," Mrs. Fallon grinned mischievously, brandishing the mallet playfully.

Cory leaned in, curious. "Like what?"
Mrs. Fallon raised a brow with a sly smile. "Now honey, if I told you, it wouldn't be a secret anymore, would it?"