A Year of Her Life

The large dark blue car, which I would later find out was a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, pulled onto the tracks slowly.  I could see the train coming, but she couldn’t.  She couldn’t see it because the track rounded a sharp corner. 

I seemed to be hovering over the whole scene.  The track stretched through trees and then became lined with small houses on one side and more trees on the other.  I was wearing a long flowing white dress and no shoes.  I could feel the tension in my body as I held every muscle tight.  I concentrated my vision on the train. 

The train was bigger than any train I have ever seen.  It was long with many cars attached.  I couldn’t see all the cars that trailed behind the massive engine.  I knew it must be hot, but looked cold to the touch.  It was black and silver with huge wheels that were turning faster and faster. 

Suddenly I was on the speeding train.  No longer could I see the car that had just approached the tracks at the intersection ahead, only the houses that were perched by the side of the tracks.  Children were outside playing in their yards while parents watched them.  Some were holding hands and turning in circles, some were chasing each other, and a few were in a small blow up pool splashing each other.  

 I was sitting on the front of the engine.  I wasn’t scared or holding on for my life.  I just watched.  I could feel the wind rushing over my face and pulling it tight.  My breath escaped in small puffs because of the force of the wind.  I could feel that my hair was being blown so hard that I thought my hair may come out by its very roots. 

The train, with me front and center, rounded the corner.  Now, I could see the car again.  The car had just pulled onto the track.  I was watching myself get closer and closer to the car, and the girl.  Why was the car not moving?  She must be able to hear the train coming on its massive wheels.  Could she not see it now that it had rounded the corner?  I started to panic now.  I was screaming, “GET OFF THE TRACK, MOVE, GET OFF THE TRACK.”  My voice was drowned out by the huffing of the train and then carried far away by the wind rushing by.  Didn’t she see the huge train? 

The whistle blew.  It was loud and my body vibrated with the noise.  The tracks vibrated even more with the sound of the whistle that seemed to take over the air.  I felt better because surly the girl could hear the whistle that was still vibrating through me.  Realizing my eyes were now closed because of the whistle, I slowly opened them.  My vision seemed to be vibrating from the sound as my eyes opened.  I could feel my eyes become still.

  I focused on what was in front of me.  The car was still there.  The train was not slowing and the car was not moving.  Why wouldn’t this girl just move her car?  I was right on top of her now.  I felt as if I were carrying the train forward.  The more I focused on the blue car and the girl, the faster the train approached her. 

The girl looked up.  Finally!  I could see her face.  It was like an angel straight from heaven. Her eyes shown a bright, vivid blue.  Her hair was straight golden locks.  Her skin was smooth and bright.  She seemed to have a glow about her that was so unnatural that it was natural.   I could see her angelic face change to one filled with fear as she turned her head towards me.  I could see her beautiful eyes fill with the image of the train.  The train I was on.  She turned her attention to her car.  She grabbed the steering wheel with great force and punched the gas pedal down. 

Nothing happened?  Nothing happened!  Nothing happened.  She turned her head back in my direction, fear still distorting her face.  I saw her close her eyes, the vision of the train disappearing with the closing of her eye lids.  The action was so sad because it was final.  She knew.  As soon as her eyes closed the train crashed into the car. 

#####

This is my very first attempt a writing anything over 5 pages.  I had a lot of fun writing this and enjoyed watching the numbers as people read.

That being said, I have learned a lot since writing this!  I feel like I fell into what I call the 'Wattpad trap'.  I added some parts to this that I wasn't happy with and didn't go with the story.  Why? i thought more people would read it- they didn't.

I am proud of my first story and do not plan to take it down.  But, my future stories will we of higher caliber.  If you do continue to read, let me know what you think.