XIII - Game On

There are times when I wish I had a universal remote.

One to pause moments, rewind time, fast-forward to the future,

and most importantly,

mute irritating high school students.

H.L.A is packed with kids - at least 600 in each class.

So, when it comes time for lunch, no matter which period you have it, the noise level is bound to be loud enough to crack some eardrums.

At least someone give me an option to lower the volume - I'm trying to think here!

"What are some names that start with C?" I swiveled by body to the right side of the table.

I propped myself up so that the upper half of my body was above the table so that everyone who I wanted to hear me could.

"That is so random." Jackson stared at me curiously.

Everyone was staring at me like I was some type of weirdo.

"What does that have anything to do with what we were talking about?" Chris asked.

"Nothing. She just can't stand not having the attention on her for more than five minutes."

Do I even need to tell you who's snobbish voice that was?

"Says the girl who dyed her hair red and has been making allusions to it for the past forty minutes trying - in vain - to get someone, anyone to say something about it, when it reality, nobody gives a crap. So either go somewhere or shut up, and someone answer my question!"

I turned to the rest of the group - can't say any of them were shocked from my sudden outburst.

The only one who reacted was Chris who was laughing so hard that he might actually break his face.

Quinn brushed her cheaply done hair to the side and laid her hand on the table. Jamie hesitated before grabbing it to comfort her.

"Why the interest in C names?" someone asked.

"Does it matter? C'mon people, work with me here!" I snapped my fingers in frustration.

"Um, hello? Chris!" Chris offered.

"Girl names, idiot."

"Why do you hurt me?" Chris asked, almost too quietly.

I waved him off just as a voice from next to me said, "Christina."

I looked at the source of the voice.

My eyes narrowed when I stared into the ones belonging to my ex.

I blinked several times - giving off that did-I-ask-you-to-speak? vibe.

At least I'm guessing that's the vibe Jamie was feeling. In my head, however, I was debating on how I should let the next few moments pan out.

Jamie knows someone stole his box of deliciously embarrassing secrets. He was trying to be friends with me again. If we did become "friends" maybe he wouldn't suspect me.

Bbbuuuttt, if I accept him back too quickly, he's going to know something's up. I hold onto grudges and let them grow with everlasting hatred. Jamie knows this. He'll be suspicious of me if I become too nice, too soon.

"Anybody? Anybody have a C name?" I asked, totally disregarding Jamie's presence.

Chris opened his mouth, "Any girl C names?"