THREE

iii.

—THE whole class took their leisurely time getting off the dingy school bus, and at this rate, Savannah was starting to get a headache

—THE whole class took their leisurely time getting off the dingy school bus, and at this rate, Savannah was starting to get a headache. The bus wasn't moving but it was getting hot and claustrophobic in the back. Leo must have noticed the signs of sickness all over her because he tugged on her wrist to cut a few people in the aisle.

"Hey! Watch it!" Isabel practically shrieked as the girl was pushed back down in her seat.

"Sorry," Savannah threw over her shoulder as the boy continued to maneuver his way through the students. Eventually, they reached the furthest point they could around halfway and stopped. "Thanks, Leo."

"Eh, it was nothing. I didn't want you barfing all up on me," he laughed.

"Would have been better now than earlier while we were still driving," Savannah shrugged. "Imagine just having to sit in all that grossness. Eugh."

"I definitely wouldn't have sat in it. My clothes would have been sent straight out the window."

"You would have just gone naked?" Savannah chuckled, not really minding the prying ears that tuned it at the word 'naked.' Wow, how scandalous of a word.

Leo looked around, though, quite embarrassed at the prospect of everyone listening to the conversation now. "Well, no. I would have taken your jacket and worn it as pants and taken Jason's to wear regularly."

"That would have been a sight."

Leo rolled his eyes. "And not a pretty one."

They were off the bus at that point and started stretching out their muscles like everyone else.There were echoes of everyone needing to find the bathroom, so a large chunk of the students went inside to find it. Savannah and Leo stuck behind to talk to Jason and Piper about the memory issue.

  Savannah started to put on her hoodie. It wasn't supposed to be cold but the wind was whipping around like crazy and it made her feel chilly.

  "You cold, Savi?" Leo asked, chuckling as her head got stuck in her hood. She used her hands to move things around till it sat right on her.

  "Could be warmer," she admitted, synching up the strings. Her jacket had the mascot of a random middle school she didn't go to. It had come from a thrift store and had been with her for a few years, fraying at the sleeves. "Do you not feel it at all?"

  Leo was in a simple t-shirt and some jeans that were a little short for him, exposing his ankles. Nobody at their school had new clothes so they took what they could get. "I'm usually hot so this is really nice for me."