SIX

vi.

—SAVANNAH'S head was pulsing as she coughed up water

—SAVANNAH'S head was pulsing as she coughed up water. The green and blue girls in the water had thrown her out in time so she didn't drown, but not quick enough. She'd gulped down a copious amount of murky lake water as she tried to breathe in. She just ... wasn't made for water. Plenty of swimming lessons have told her that.

  Savannah gasped as her windpipe finally cleared. Her body was still shivering from the cold and she was drenched. And now her throat was starting to sting, so that was great.

  Someone took her arm and helped her stand to her unsteady feet. She looked up and saw Leo, also soaked to the bone. He was gently coughing, almost in a laugh, but as he looked at her, his face morphed into one of concern.

  "Are you okay?" He eyed her pained face, but she was calming down slowly.

  She nodded once and coughed one last cough before nodding again. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm good."

  Leo glanced over her body one last time before guiding her in Jason, Piper, and Annabeth's direction. Kids were crowding them and some were holding blankets, while others eagerly asked them questions. Savannah squealed as she was blasted with air from behind, but welcomed the heat that came with it. It was gone as quick as it came and Savannah missed the warmth. She turned to see two smiling campers that took the leaf blower away, leaving her and Leo to see to Butch.

  "How often do you think that happens where they have to have leaf blowers on hand?" Savannah asked, swallowing thickly as her throat was still sore.

  "Maybe it's initiation?" The boy shrugged. "I wonder if they've got a giant hair salon too," Leo commented offhandedly, brushing down his now dry clothes.

  "Maybe their giant comb could tame your curly hair," Savannah teased. He raised an eyebrow and scoffed.

  "Nothing can tame this wild beast," he tried to run his fingers through his hair, but it got caught in a knot and he pulled his hand away slowly, not even bothering with it.

  "Not even a giant bottle of conditioner?" She asked.

  "Nope," he chuckled. "Let's go." He took her hand and they walked the rest of the way over to their friends.

  "Annabeth!" A boy shouted from a few meters away.

  "Is that —" Savannah whispered as she squinted at what was on his back.

  "Yup," Leo answered. "That's a bow."

  Savannah's eyes widened. "First, Jason's sword, and now a bow?"