Chapter 3

I felt something dripping at the back of my head. Blood. Was it because of the flashback? I stood up and looked inside the drawers of my night desk to see what could help. Nothing. Great, now that I am comfortable I need to go get some help. I walked out of the room heading toward the front desk. I saw the guy with the white coat from before. I got closer to him until I could get to touch him. I took a deep breath and before I could even say anything he turned around and noticed the blood. He inmediately yelled: "Get some help! She's bleeding!" The people who were at the front desk ran toward the emergency kit. They gave it to him and they went back to work.

"Ouch! It hurts." I said sounding grumpy.

"It's better for it to hurt, than to leave it there bleeding." He answered.

"Who are you, anyway?" I said.

"I'm Thomas Lienel, a doctor. Who are you?"

"I'm Skylar Matthews, a patient." I said laughing.

"That's a beautiful name, just like you are."

"Thank you..." Is he flirting? Or is he just being nice? Why should I care? Let him do whatever he wants to.

"Don't misunderstand it. It's not allowed anyway." He said grabbing another cotton ball.

"Um...sure. Why would I? Does it happens a lot?" I said trying to fake a smile, even if he couldn't see me.

"Yes. It's just my personality, I can't do nothing about it. That's just the way I am."

"Well, I just hope your girlfriend is okay with that."

"I don't have one. She passed away two years ago."

"Oh, I'm sorry for your lost and for asking."

"It's not your fault." He tried to smile. I knew he tried to. I couldn't see him, but I knew it.

"How did she...you know?"

No answer. Maybe I crossed the line.

"I shouldn't have ask that. Sorry." I felt him holding his tears up. It felt like he didn't want to cry in a public place, not at his work at least. I'm such a stupid person. Why am I so curious?

"October 19th, 2016. She was found dead in a bus parade. They said the bus didn't see her and that it was an accident, but I don't believe that. There are many ways she could have died, but they preffered the one who was harmless for everyone."

"But it wasn't harmless for you."

He laughed.

"Is she the reason you became a doctor?" I said without even thinking it. Great, another crossed-line question. Seriously?

"Something like that. It was because of her father."

"I don't get it."

"Her father was a friend of mine before I started dating her. He had a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He died 9 years ago. I tried to save him, but I didn't know how. I just started running around, looking for help, and suddenly he was not breathing anymore. Since then, my dream was to help people when they're sick."

"Oh. Well, that's very nice of you."

"Do you remember what's your career about?"

"I am in an university? Wait a minute... How old am I?"

"From what I checked last night, you are 20 years old."

"Oh, okay. And how old are you?"

"21."

"You're kind of young to be a doctor. Did you started studying medicine at 17?"

" Yes. I'm still studying. I'll graduate next year."

"Nice. Congratulations in advance if I don't get to see you."

He laughed.

"I'm done. Press this right where I'm holding it now." He said giving me the cotton ball with alcohol.

"Thanks."

He stood up from his chair, walking toward the front desk. I don't see him like the guy on the white coat anymore, now I see him as Thomas. Thomas Lienel. A doctor and a friend. I don't know everything about him, but I think I know stuff that may be important. That kind of stuff that makes you you.