The Truth

DEAN

I stared at Sam who looked sadder than ever. He was full of pain and I took notice. Clearly this was a difficult subject to discuss for everyone.

"It started all started when I introduced Elena to my friend Kai," Sam started.

"How'd you know him?"

"From college. We were roommates," Sam answered. I nodded edging him to continue.

"Kai became infatuated with Elena. He wanted her, I mean who doesn't, she's beautiful. Anyways, after two months of them meeting, Kai finally got the courage to ask Elena out. They dated for a couple years."

"What happened?" I asked him.

"She started to feel differently about him. For starters, he was cheating on her. She lost trust in him, and she didn't want to be with him anymore. She called me and told me that she was going to need a place to stay that night. Of course I said she could stay with me. I didn't want her living in that house together if they were broken up. Personally, I didn't like Kai in the first place."

"Why were you friends with him?" I asked.

"We weren't friends. We were roommates. He eventually moved out and into a house with Elena." Sam put his head down.

"Is it the house she's living in now?" Sam nodded. "Son of a bitch," I sighed. "What happened next?"

"That night I had everything ready for Elena, but she called me telling me that it was a slight misunderstanding and that she didn't need to stay at my house."

"What's weird about that?" I asked.

"She was firm on breaking up with him."

"Maybe he was compelling," I threw out. 

"Or he was abusive," Sam sighed. My stomach dropped. Abusive?

"How did you..." I started.

"She had a black eye the next day. She said she fell but I had my suspicions." I slid my hand down my face.

"And you didn't kick his ass for hurting her?" I yelled.

"Dean I couldn't! I didn't have enough information! I couldn't just assume!"

"What about Elena?" I painfully asked.

"She wouldn't tell me the truth. She wouldn't go with me. More and more I saw more bruises appear on her fragile body..."

"And you did nothing once again!" Sam looked at me like he was going to cry.

"I couldn't Dean."

"Couldn't or wouldn't."

"Both. She told me that everything was alright."

"So this is why you believe it's your fault?"

"Partly," he sighed. After a couple months of this I confronted Kai and told him to leave Elena alone."