25. Peculiar Soul

It's a person sitting next to me

A shadow lingering close by

Following me around

It's a soul I know by heart

Every inch, but somehow I still don't

Know a single thing

It's a thorn I found, or made

Amongst other people's roses

I never bothered to touch it

It mocks me sometimes,

When it gets tired of my sadness

When I feel alone in a crowd

It has now become a friend

I've learned and grown to like it

I embrace its cold comforting arms

And somehow, this peculiar soul

It has taught me to love

Solitariness, and myself.

****

This one was inspired by a Humans of New York post I read, where a girl described loneliness as a person, and how she had grown to like it after a while. It was a beautiful symbolism, and I related a lot to it. There was a point of time a few years ago where I was surrounded by people that I didn't like, and I only spent time with them because I was afraid of being alone and lonely. Now, I really wouldn't mind if I had no friends at all to spend time with, because the more I explore myself, the more I realise how much I love being alone. Most people think it's weird, but what's so weird in being content to live life the way you want it to? I don't have to be around people just because it makes me look more socialised, and therefore meeting society's expectations on what people should be like - 'social'. I'm perfectly happy being in my own space, and although I love spending time with my real friends sometimes, too much socialising actually gets me tired. I mean, come on guys, my MBTI personality test determines that I'm 70% introverted. I'm actually surprised it's not 99%.