Chapter 1: Years Later....

New York. What a busy city to reckon with. I will never get to my interview on time if I keep waiting for people to pass by. Next time Summers, try to get a cab. I, Ne'veah Summers, is trying to get the top spot for personal assistant to this job called Mid states Industrial Group, or whatever, and I am stuck in the downtown area of New York, waiting for people to pass by. It was so crowded that I didn't want to be pushed into someone's car. Ha! Not today. I have my professional outfit that I had prepared myself for this occasion and I don't want it dirtied. I have been waiting for this moment to come because now that I am finished with college, I can get a job, start my life, and hope for the best. Suddenly, I seen the streets be more clear. I quickly ran to the building I was looking for and to tell you it was big. Okay. Deep breaths, you can do this. I closed my eyes and slowed my heart rate. Then, I walked inside the building. The inside was very beautiful as well as the outside, like the fountains and the furniture was so futuristic. Many workers really did look stuck-up and classy, though. I walked up to the front desk to get my appointment in and there was a white woman with short black hair with brown eyes that smiled at me. " Hello dear, what can I do for you?" She asked politely. " Yes, I am here for my appointment with Mr. Waters." I replied. She told me he'd be right with me and took me to a meeting room. A few minutes later, he sat with me in the meeting room. "I'm so sorry I came a little late, Mr. Waters. It was not my intention to---" Mr. Waters cut me off, "It's alright, Ms. Summers. But I just want you to know that I'm sorry but someone else came before you and got the job. I'm sorry if you had wasted your time to get here." He professionally apologized. My hope had crashed down on me right then when he said that. "Well, isn't there another job that is available?" I sadly asked. "Well, other than a janitor to clean up the rooms, then no, we don't have any other openings. Sorry." He said. I sighed and wished him a wonderful day and went home. My home was a nice comfy home to be in, according to what my friends told me.  My parents had let me keep this house as long as I wanted to until I get  situated. I love my parents so much that I owe them lots of gratitude. Even including my friends that been there for me ever since. My friends, Natalie and Luke, usually came over from time to time just to check and see if I'm having any progress or just hangout. They are wonderful and sweet just like Jamal. Jamal and I never saw each other again when I had moved to another state. I could remember his face in between sadness and hurt. I felt guilty ever since then and tried to get over it. I heard that he was working on this new album, as I heard from rumors and TV. I have to admit that he got handsome when he got older, but hearing that he was gay, punched me with hurt a little. I guess it wasn't cut out like I wanted it to be. After going inside my house, I took my shoes off at the door and went upstairs to my bedroom. I sat on my love bed and tossed my purse, keys, and phone to the side. I layed back and sighed until I closed my eyes. But sleep wasn't on my side because my phone ringed. I picked it up, "Hello?" I asked sleepily. "Hey, Ne'veah! Long time no see, huh?" A familiar voice came through. I sat up, " Who's this?" The voice laughed," Don't you remember? It's Becky!" I narrowed my eyes, "Wait, Becky from that club on Park Avenue that gave me that drink when I needed it?" I dumbly asked. Becky snorted, " Yes, that one." I gasped, "Oh my god, Becky! How have you been? I mean the last time I saw you was like a month ago." I cried out surprised. "Well, I have been doing fine, other than work, work, and work for THE Lucious Lyon. Other than that, I have been totally at it." She relieved. I smiled, "Well, I understand that. I have been busy as well. Looking for a job is very stressful and hard. I'm looking, though." I said back. "Technically, that was the reason I called. I asked Lucious if I could have a second in command assistant just in case I needed the time off or to help me with things a little and he told me yes. I didn't know who could be a good person to hire until I thought of you telling me you were in need of of a job, if you do have one." She informed. I smiled widely,"Oh yes, I would love that. But Becky, are you sure you want me to be your assistant?" "Of course! You are perfect for the job and you are amazing with professionalism." "Okay, I'm in. So how do I start?" I questioned. "Just put on business clothes and resume with you tomorrow and be there by 11:45." She said. "Okay. Thank you, Becky! I swear I won't let this down!" I happily told her. Becky grinned on the phone, "I'm sure to that. Bye!" "Bye!" I jumped with glee, "YES! I GOT ME A JOB!" I sat back down and played back on my bed and went to sleep quickly to see another day.