Chapter One

Meredy bit her lip as she sat down on the bench. It was all confusing. She had just been to a council meeting, and it had gone from hopeful to downright confusing.

The Council Meeting:
"So you're telling me," Erza began. "That you'll free Jellal because we gave you old- I mean respective elders money and swore on Fairy Tail's name that he was actually kind of innocent but you won't free Meredy because her past was more devil-ish?"

"So basically," Natsu said angrily yet kept a toothy smile on his face. "They're a bunch of old men and women that are stubborn and rude. And weird. And immensely weird. Also, did I mention? They're weird. To put it in the mildest way." 

Erza glared daggers at him. "Respective elders," she reminded him. "And they think their actions are vital and they are. Most of the time," she muttered under her breath. The Council spoke in one voice.

"Correct. We respect your offers of money, and since you have gained respect even from the king, we decided that it is alright to let Jellal free. But her-" they gestured to Meredy, who was shocked, "she is out of the question. Guards-"

"Matte! Wait! Juvia would like to say something," the water mage said. The Council frowned, but motioned her to go on. "Juvia believes if you would let Jellal, a man that you have kept captive for a while, can be set free, a girl like Meredy is not out of the question." 

Meredy watched the conversation with big, wide eyes. She wasn't sure of what to say or do, and she was...well...scared. She didn't want to be separated from Jellal. Ultear was already gone, and she didn't want to lose anyone else either. Jellal was the only one left that she loved, and she didn't want to lose him too...

She was so lost in thought, she didn't catch the rest of the argument. "Alright. You, Meredy..." 

Meredy started. "I-It's just Meredy," she said softly. 

"Okay then. Meredy. According to the water mage of Fairy Tail, you can do a great deal of damage, and can wipe out great forces. This gives us an idea. Meredy glanced at Juvia before gazing at the Council. "And that is..?" she asked, tilting her head.

"WHAT THE-?!" came a deep voice. A silver-haired man and a pink-haired girl popped into view in front of Meredy. 

"Mest-san!" Wendy called, confused. A man stepped away from the duo and nodded hello to Fairy Tail, the turned to the Council. 

"These are the two that accepted the job from us," he said formally. "You, Meredy, will accompany these two well trained mages in order to obliterate a growing dark guild," the Council declared. "If you manage to do the job as well as we order you too, your name will be cleared. Do you understand?" Meredy nodded. 

"Can I ask something?" Wendy timidly asked. "What is it?" Wendy hesitated. "Can I join this group?" 

The Council was silent, and whispered with each other. After a while, the Council nodded as one. "You may join." Wendy and Sherria glanced at each other, excitement written on their faces.

"Lyon~!!" Meredy heard a girly voice. "You said you only needed one partner for this job! And since I am most definitely going to be your soulmate, so of course I said yes! And I'm happy that Wendy is joining, of course, don't get me wrong, but...but...who is that other girl?" 

They rounded to the corner where Meredy was leaning against a pillar. They watched without Meredy knowing as she sank to the floor, hugging her knees and covering her head. At least, they thought she didn't know.

"Hello," Meredy said after a second. Lyon and Sherria started. Meredy uncovered her head and smiled at them. "Soulmates, huh? Must be wonderful to have each other," Meredy said, her smile changing into a wistful and sad one. 

"YUP," Sherria said, hugging Lyon's arm. 

"Ha ha ha-NOPE." Lyon shook Sherria off. She wagged a finger at him. 

"Just you wait, Lyon Vastia!" she giggled. "You'll be ogling over me in no time, and want my hand even later!" 

Lyon sighed. "Huh," he said absentmindedly.

"Well," Lyon said, looking at Meredy. "Looks like you're in the team. I'll explain more at Lamia Scale. I hope you're worth it."

Lyon x Meredy is one of my most favorite OTPs ever. Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Sorry if it cut off a bit abruptly, I have to go somewhere right now. Well, stay tuned for Chapter 2!