Game, Set, Match! (1D fanfic)

Authors Note - Hi guys! This is my first story so please go easy on me :) x

Chapter 1

"What's wrong?" Lèna asked, well, screamed at me over the annoyingly loud music currently blaring out of the speakers, jolting me out of my peaceful thoughts.

I simply turned, tearing my gaze away from the city that seemed to be gliding past us, and stared into the irritated looking eyes of my best friend, as if trying to find a simple answer to her question.

Firstly, I hate going to things like this, which Lèna knows all too well, but that didn't stop her from dragging me off my bed, forcing me into this ridiculous dress and shoving me onto this stupid boat; so I could celebrate my new years with a bunch of strangers with way too much money or influence to get them into this 'event'. I felt so out of place it was unreal. All I had wanted to do tonight is celebrate New Years the way I usually did: at either my mother or my brother's house, surrounded by family, close friends and good food - without all the superiority and ignorance that was served by the champagne bucket load at these kind of parties. But no, sadly the divine right for me to do whatever the hell I pleased with my time was striped from me the second Lèna decided that I needed to be more 'sociable' and 'likeable' and 'approachable'. As if I wasn't already all of those things?! Secondly, the party was on a fricking boat! Once the bloody thing took off there was no escape from the bad food, terrible music and even worse company. Which brings me onto my third thing: the next fucker that tries to 'accidentally' grope me when I'm walking from the bar to my fortress of solitude - aka the back of the boat that for some reason no one like going to - is going to leave this shameful excuse for a good time without one of their testicles. All of these thoughts and many, many more flashed through my head but I decided that a sarcastic answer would best help my case here.

"What are you talking about?! I'm having a great time, the time of my life!!! What could possibly be wrong??" I exclaimed with the voice of a 5 year old in Hamleys.

Lèna's usually stunning features pulled into a frown, showing that she clearly knew exactly how I was feeling and wasn't anywhere near buying my way too over the top act.

"Why aren't you having fun?!" She whined at me, almost stamping her 5 inch heels in frustration.

"Oh, there are so many reasons..." I replied while my eyes drifted to some loser who was grinding with some slut whilst checking me out over the girls shoulder. Fair enough I knew very little about parties like this, but even I knew grinding here was in such bad taste. Like seriously, leave that shit in a club. My look of boredom quickly evolved back into a look of disgust before my attention was brought back to my drunk looking flatmate.

"I honestly don't know what I'm going to with you Adriana! I bring you out to one of the best parties of the year, with some really cool - and might I add good looking - boys and you stand here, by yourself, without any attempts of even trying to talk to anyone. I just don't get how someone as beautiful as you can be so anti-social! You know if things really kick off in future then these sorts of events could become a regular thing so you better start to get used to them now," Lèna concluded, leaning onto the hand rail for support.

Her whole speech would have been much more meaningful if she wasn't slurring the whole thing. Honestly, how can one person drink so much in one night and still be standing in heels? The mind baffles. And since when was professional tennis all glitz and glamour? I play because I'm generally in love with the sport and it was one of the only things my dad and I had bonded over. I went pro because I couldn't see myself doing anything else with my life. Tennis is my life, not all of these stupid events or parties or 'media training opportunities' as Lèna has learned to call them.