0.7

"all we are is an isle of flightless birds. we find our worth in giving birth and stuff." -twenty øne piløts, isle øf flightless birds.

***

"i can't believe you went that far with him!" casey shrieked tuesday morning as we mulled over cups of cheap cafeteria coffee. a group of freshmen girls that were huddled over a geography book nearby, flashed us startled glances, making casey smirk.

"and on a rooftop too?" casey exclaimed in an exaggerated voice. her eyes twinkled with repressed laughter, "god you must have been freezing. when you went to that point with me, we did it in the bedroom like normal people!" another red lipped smirk and cocked eyebrow at the now flushed faces of the freshmen, their eyes wide with disbelief.

i grinned, playing along,"i was so open that night, practically an open book. luke was surprised at how far i went with him. but it i guess it doesn't really make a difference anyway since i've basically done it with the whole school."

"slut!" one of the girls wearing a noticeable push up bra, and messy winged eyeliner blanched at us, provoking thin lipped smiles on casey and i's faces.

"i didn't realize telling someone the truth about the death of my sister made me a slut," i said innocently.

the girls faces morphed into mixed expressions of shock and disbelief, their eyes flitting nervously to each other. one of the smaller girls leaned to whisper to her friend, a utter i barely made out.

"she's that girl."

the whispers buzzed in the air around the group as they skittered away; probably to bitch about their shaky encounter with the cello-obsessed freak that had lost her sister and now took advantage of any opportunity to release her wrath upon innocent freshmen.

i didn't even feel bad for being the cause of their mortification. it seemed only fair that i could reciprocate the same pain i had endured as a freshmen on the newbies.

casey watched them go, a smile of relish and satisfaction plastered across her face. "that was fantastic. being a senior is one of the best things that ever happened to me."

"yeah sure. if you exclude the college apps, gpa maintenance, extracurricular stress and juilliard auditions."

she scoffed, "why do you always have to be such a - wait did you say juilliard?" her eyes snapped to mine, growing in size, excitement laced in between anticipation and angst.

i bit back a smile and shoved a hand inside the back pocket of my backpack, "i didn't tell you when i applied because i didn't think i had a chance but..." i pulled out the crisp envelope embossed with a red seal and stamped with the words, the juilliard school.

casey snatched the letter from my hands and muttered the words silently as her eyes scanned the page. "'beatrice kim. congratulations. you have been selected as part of an elite group to audition for the juilliard school. blah blah blah... your audition is dated for march 17th.' bea!"

her eyes gleamed with excitement and she wrapped her arms around me. i could feel the happiness radiating off her body and she let out a laugh.

"this is incredible. your mom must be so proud."

i bit my lip, "that's the thing. i haven't told her about it yet."

casey blinked in confusion. "why the hell not? it's juilliard. you've been dreaming of this place since you first started cello."

"money," i sighed, "there's no way my mom can afford to send me to such an elite school. the restaurant is doing great and we have money. but not the kind that can send me to juilliard."