Chapter Twenty-Seven

A/N: Sorry this took so long! I'm starting on my new story, Delicate, which I will be posting soon. I'm afraid that this story is coming to a close. I've had such a great time writing it, but I believe it will end soon. Keep reading, lovely people! Up next: FLUFF EVERYWHEREEEEEE. Also, just so you know, you're going to hate me for a few minutes in this chapter, but then you won't. So fair warning. :)

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Megan's POV

My vision blurred as I saw the scene before my eyes. Erik was holding a knife in front of someone, grinning wickedly. Suddenly, it came into focus. I recognized the man as Tobias, a man who used to hang out with my father a lot. You know, before my dad faked his own death and stuff.

"Erik, don't." I croaked softly. Erik stiffened and let Tobias fall to the ground. He questioned why he should let him stay alive, and I knew what was right. "Don't do it. He doesn't deserve this-no one does." A conflicting look passed through his eyes. In the end, he decided Tobias wasn't worth it, for he walked over to me and stared down at my figure.

"I'm sorry." Was all he said. I saw tears brimming on the edge of his gold eyes, threatening to spill over. I have never seen a grown man cry before, and I didn't want to start now. He dropped to his knees and pressed my right hand to his chest. I could feel his heartbeat, steady and strong, underneath my small fingers. He raked his vision across my battered body, and dissolved into full out sobs when he saw the slice on my arm. He pulled me into a crushing hug, surprising me beyond belief. I wrapped my good arm around him and stroked his hair, willing him to calm down. We sat there for a while, just holding each other. After a few minutes, Erik drew in a shaky breath and said, "I'm sorry, Megan. I'm sorry for the lies. I'm sorry for the secrets. I'm sorry about your dad. I'm sorry that you were dragged into this. I'm sorry that I didn't approach you until a month ago." I smiled at his last comment. "I'm sorry that Violet's dead." he continued. "I'm sorry about everything, but most of all, I'm sorry that I let myself love you." He said the last part quietly, and I abandoned all control I had. I completely broke down, crying like an idiot.

"Why are you sorry?" I asked after I had calmed myself a little bit. Erik looked surprised.

"Because I'm too old for you, and I don't deserve someone like you anyway." I looked at him, confused. "I don't deserve spending time with someone as pure and sweet as you are, for my thoughts and soul and actions are tainted by crime. Do you understand me, Megan? I can never have you. I can never have anyone." His voice broke on the last word, and I traced a finger around his face.

"Are you sure about that?" I asked, and, not waiting for an answer, closed the distance between us. My heart was thumping wildly and Erik tensed up, but I didn't care. That only made the kiss more desperate. He ran his hands through my hair, and unfortunately, I had to stop so I could breathe. We pulled apart, panting heavily, and Erik started to say something, but just my luck, I passed out from loss of blood.

***

"-not sure when she'll wake up." A sharp, impersonal tone of a girl cut through my thoughts. I struggled to open my eyes, and couldn't quite comprehend the sight before me, or the situation. I tried to sit up, for all I could see was a white ceiling, but I found that I was bound by metal cuffs around my ankles and wrists. I struggled against them, waiting to feel the pain from the rope burns I had sustained earlier...but none came. My wrists didn't hurt, and neither did anything on my body. My left arm didn't throb or anything. I felt perfectly healthy. But where in the name of  all things good am I?

"Oh, you're awake! How delightful." The same voice spoke again. She elevated my bed so that I was sitting up, and I noticed that I was in a plain, white gown that was a bit too short for my liking. My head was spinning, and I shut my eyes tightly before opening them again. The owner of the voice was a black haired woman who looked like she wanted to be anywhere but here. Where am I? Where's Erik?